cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When are VBO loaded?

Walter.Koller
Level 11

We are evaluating the possibility to distribute files by using Blue Prism. 
There would be a VBO with a variable containing binary data that can be written to a file where ever the process is executed.
Since those files could be relatively big, loading the VBO might cause issues or reduced performance.

My question is, when are VBO loaded and how VBO load could be optimized. eg:
- When a process is started are all used VBO also loaded?
- or when the process gets to a page where this VBO is used?
- or when the process gets to an action of this VBO?

And is there a difference if a process directly uses the VBO with the binary data compared to 'hide' the big VBO behind another VBO? 
- The process executes A.VBO action to do a check and this check triggers B.VBO action that contains the binary variable.
or 
- The process executes process A to do a check and this check triggers B.VBO action that contains the binary variable

Thanks

------------------------------
Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Digital / Erste Group Bank
Europe/Vienna
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

GopalBhaire
Level 10

Hi Walter 

The VBOs are not preloaded at the start of a process. Objects are loaded on-demand, meaning they are only loaded into memory when they are needed by a process.  Only when the first action from the VBO is called the whole objects is loaded into the memory. 

I guess if your VBO containing the binary file is not triggered through checks then it will not be loaded, I might suggest that if you are not going to call the object with binary file in a loop, I think you can get away with using a sub process as they are released from memory on their end.

Finally, you might have to consider how blue prism stores the binary file in DB, I am not aware if BP stores the whole object into DB or only the difference.

Thanks,

Gopal Bhaire

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GopalBhaire
Level 10

Hi Walter 

The VBOs are not preloaded at the start of a process. Objects are loaded on-demand, meaning they are only loaded into memory when they are needed by a process.  Only when the first action from the VBO is called the whole objects is loaded into the memory. 

I guess if your VBO containing the binary file is not triggered through checks then it will not be loaded, I might suggest that if you are not going to call the object with binary file in a loop, I think you can get away with using a sub process as they are released from memory on their end.

Finally, you might have to consider how blue prism stores the binary file in DB, I am not aware if BP stores the whole object into DB or only the difference.

Thanks,

Gopal Bhaire

Thanks for the explanation

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Digital / Erste Group Bank
Europe/Vienna