cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asilarow
MVP
Hi All,

In line with many improvement techniques (i.e. Poka-Yoke), one of the most efficient ways to improve customer satisfaction is to remove the possibility of making errors.

Allowing groups to be created without any restrictions in place can lead to many usage errors (not to mention drop in performance of the environment)and thus customer dissatisfaction with the product.

This being said, it would be great if all the Groups, or at the very least the Process and Object groups would not allow setting a new group name the same as an existing Process or Object.
2 Comments
PvD_SE
Level 12
While I am totally in favor of removing the possibility to make errors, I am less sure about the rest of the proposal. Surely, objects, processes and groups are quite different things. And perhaps there is a BP installation somewhere that uses a group for each process and have chosen to name them accordingly.
Asilarow
MVP
@Paul JHM van Doorn
​Naming groups the same as processes or objects can be troublesome in many many ways.

To begin with, user confusion - Imagine you are looking for an Object for MS Excel VBO, and there is a Group called MS Excel VBO within the Object tree.
You would then naturally venture there to search for it, but instead you'd find other Objects which someone decided to place there instead.

Next up is release management, and dependency search.
Putting the earlier example aside, let's say users will create a folder for each Object. This will then bloat the Object tree massively, making it really difficult to traverse and find the desired object.
Sure, there are now name filters... but what if the names are similar?
Not to mention that a single object/process can be assigned to multiple groups.

And last but not least, performance.
The more groups there are, the longer it takes to load the tree view, read Process & Object dependencies, and open the release manager screen.
Even after the performance improvements in v6.8 and above, this still can bog down a larger environment quite considerably if left unchecked.

So all in all, I have to stick with my recommendation of blocking the option to name a Group the same as an Object or Process... as I simply see no valid reason to do so.