cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andymenon
Staff
Staff

Hello,

The messages displayed in Blue Prism control could be made more helpful so that users may avoid unneeded troubleshooting channels. 

Here is an example from the screen shot below. The message states that the "Machine is too busy to run that process".

This message is very generic and even misleading. It gives an impression that:

1. something is wrong with the machine
  2. something is wrong with the Enterprise license

After ruling out reason 1,  I had to spend considerable time to rule out reason 2. I have Enterprise licensing that allows me to run 5 concurrent sessions. From the screen shot you can see that I was able to run 2 sessions, and when adding a third process I got a generic message from Control stating that the machine is too busy.

After several days of troubleshooting, I came to realize that it was neither the machine nor the license that was the problem. Rather, it was the process itself. The process I tried to add used a Blue Prism VBO that was marked as Exclusive instead of Background . And this caused my process from executing concurrently.

However, the message box displayed had no indication of the true underlying cause. And the concept of setting VBOs to Background mode is not that obvious to most developers. 

Which brings us to the idea.

Idea: 

Please enhance the messaging to align more towards the the actual cause.

Example:  In this context,  messages like these could have helped fast track the troubleshooting process in the right direction. 

This process you are trying to execute is not designed to run in a concurrent session

or

Check your process to ensure that any of the objects are not set as Exclusive

or 

Make sure that the objects used in your process are set for Background execution

Theoretically and technically speaking, if BP Control can stop a process marked for exclusive execution from running, then it must be in a position to output a message that more accurately communicates the cause.

Thank you for giving this idea your due consideration.

37131.png