Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

type name attribute in Application modeller

SamLima
Level 7

there's no documentation for type name attribute in application modeller, 

I tried to spy the main frame for my application so I can read the window title

but how did type name with wildcard make it possible?

------------------------------
Sam Lima
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi @SamLima,

Sorry for the late reply, it somehow missed my feeds. This is not a mainframe application but is a desktop application only so I was confused firstly is it something specific to mainframes or not.

Secondly, this attribute has been created with help of a constructor or some equivalent method in the source code of your desktop application. Hence, I won't say this attribute will always have a value whenever you interact with any desktop application as it is totally dependent on how this target application has been developed.​ In your case, you can make this parameter dynamic and use a wait stage to check to pass on this value whenever you are using any action corresponding to that screen. However, I won't suggest it as this parameter is completely dependent on how the application has been developed.

A better way to perhaps check if you are on the right screen is to pick up any element that you feel is unique to that screen and check if that element exists or not along with the window title check you are doing. Again only checking Window Title might not be a reliable approach as in many applications only screen might change while the window title remains the same. So overall, all these approaches depend on the target application that you intend to automate.

----------------------------------
Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the 'Best Answer' so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,
Wonderbotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the best answer

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SamLima
Level 7

Could You help please?

@devneetmohanty07

Sam Lima

Hi Sam,

I am actually not able to get which attribute you are talking about here. Can you show once what attribute you are referring to. If it is a mainframe, then it has been quite some time since I worked on one so just show me the screenshot if possible or exactly what field you want to spy out of it.

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the 'Best Answer' so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the best answer

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty

Sam Lima

Hi @devneetmohanty07
could you please help?

Sam Lima

Hi @SamLima,

Sorry for the late reply, it somehow missed my feeds. This is not a mainframe application but is a desktop application only so I was confused firstly is it something specific to mainframes or not.

Secondly, this attribute has been created with help of a constructor or some equivalent method in the source code of your desktop application. Hence, I won't say this attribute will always have a value whenever you interact with any desktop application as it is totally dependent on how this target application has been developed.​ In your case, you can make this parameter dynamic and use a wait stage to check to pass on this value whenever you are using any action corresponding to that screen. However, I won't suggest it as this parameter is completely dependent on how the application has been developed.

A better way to perhaps check if you are on the right screen is to pick up any element that you feel is unique to that screen and check if that element exists or not along with the window title check you are doing. Again only checking Window Title might not be a reliable approach as in many applications only screen might change while the window title remains the same. So overall, all these approaches depend on the target application that you intend to automate.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty