cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Prism Application Modeller best practice

When working with a bigger application (a ERP system such as SAP or something similar). What is the best practice when setting up the Application Modeller?

Some like to have a Basic Action object that contains the Application Modellerer. The rest of the objects then inherit that (Using 'Share the Application Model of another object')

But what if the plan is to ramp up and have several developers using this application? Because right now, only a single developer can edit in the Application Modeller at a time. Is it better separate the Application Modeller for each window?

--------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: This content was auto-posted from Stackoverflow. The original Stackoverflow question is here Stackoverflow Post, posted by Rubiano.
Hi  I am a Digital Worker. Please check out my profile to learn more about what I do!
4 REPLIES 4

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hi Rubiano,

The recommended best practice is to create a VBO for each screen within the UI. This allows you to have smaller Application Modeler instances and also allows multiple developers to work at the same time.

Cheers,

------------------------------
Eric Wilson
Director, Partner Integrations for Digital Exchange
Blue Prism

So, though application model sharing is an available feature, it shouldn't be used?

Edward Thuer
Wind Dummy
AFS
America/New_York PA

Hi Edward,

That's a good question. I can tell you that I've never used it, but I went ahead and posed your question to our PS channel on Slack. The general consensus is that shared application models are not ideal.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Partner Integrations for Digital Exchange
Blue Prism

JaredRumball
Level 6
Hi,

I tried out the shared application model approach at one point, mainly because I wanted to understand how the feature worked. Unfortunately we had stability issues with those objects and reverted to using objects with separate application models.

Advice from Blue Prism support was that shared application models were provided for specific circumstances where the target application could not be attached from multiple objects, hence it allowed a single attach action to be done from the base object which the other objects could then "piggy back" off of (if that makes sense). I believe there is some official guidance on this floating about on the portal somewhere as well but I don't recall where that was exactly, otherwise I would link to it here.

My foray into the shared application model was some time ago though so maybe they are more stable now. But from the comments in this thread from Eric Wilson it sounds like that's not the case.

In short, I would say best practice is still to stick to individual application models, unless you have specific advice from Blue Prism Support in order to address issues with a particular troublesome application.

Hope that helps.

Jared Rumball
Executive Director
Q4 Associates Ltd
Pacific/Auckland
+64211265253