cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send emails during working hours only

TeresaBaker
Level 3

What is the best way to handle sending emails to customers within working hours (robot working 24/7)?  Is there a 'delay send' object for Outlook?  Should we set up a queue for these emails and schedule the processing during working hours only?  I can't seem to see any advice for this?

4 REPLIES 4

Hello Teresa,

Currently Outlook VBO doesn't have an action to schedule or delay an email. You can create a custom action by following the below.

1. Take a copy of existing Send Email Action and Rename it.
  2. Add this line in the code stage under Try block. mail.DeferredDeliveryTime = sendDateTime
  3. Add the sendDateTime in the inputs.35678.png

35679.png

Post creating the custom action in the object, you can follow the below flow.

• Configure From & To Business Hours under Environmental variables.
  • In your process, you can add a decision stage to validate the business hour. if the current time is between the business hours, then send the email.
  • If the current time is not with in the business hours, then you can schedule the email using the above created custom action. 

Alternatively, you can also defer the items in the queue and send the emails during the business hours. 

Hello Teresa, 

In my opinion, the best option would be to have logic in your bot to check the timings and defer the item. Maybe a separate queue also works for the send email part.

Let us know how it goes and shall you need any more help.

Hello Teresa,

I agree with @Tejaskumar_Darji, the best option will be deferring the item in queue and send the email to the customers. This will really help you to track the email status in the queue management. Scheduled emails will actually stay in the outbox and it's difficult to monitor them. 

TeresaBaker
Level 3

Thanks @Athiban Mahamathi Mathialagan and @Tejaskumar_Darji for your advice.  I tried to create a copy of the send email using the deferred date but that doesn't seem to be working for me.  I think I will go with the advice and update the queue item and defer to email during the working day timeframe.