cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant save Attachement under specific name

lorenzwagner
Level 4

Hello, I am currently trying to save all attachments of my unread emails in a folder. I am using the Outlook VBO and the action 'dd'. There I enter the filepath and the filename, unfortunately the whole thing doesn't work. Regardless of whether I save the name ("file.pdf") in a data item with a text attribute and without "" or directly in the action with "file.pdf", this is always skipped and not saved. What could be the reason for this? If i leave the "File Name" entry empty, it does work. This is my process.Unbenannt.PNG

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @lorenzwagner ,

There can be multiple reasons for that. Some of the things that I would suggest you to check and follow are listed below:

1. Can you let us know if you are using the latest version for the VBO from DX Exchange? If not, then is it possible to update the same? If not, then we can check the other points.

2. The 'Save Attachment' action does not throw any error even if your email does not have any attachment at all so it may be possible that your action is being run successfully but the current email in your loop does not have the associated attachment at all. My suggestion would be to first modify the section of your workflow as shown below which will check the existence of attachment prior to the action itself and check where the workflow goes:

devneetmohanty07_0-1717336694553.png

3. Also, can you show us the action properties that you are using. In my case, the action works when I use the attachment name coming from the email itself. If you use a static parameter let say something like "file.pdf", then in every iteration the attachment will be saved using the same file name which will result in overwriting the file saved in the previous iteration so you will ultimately end up with only one file. My suggestion would be to use the parameter as shown below if possible or somehow make your file names dynamic so that they do not get overwritten:

devneetmohanty07_1-1717336982255.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps you out and if so, please mark the current thread as the 'Answer', so others can refer to the same for reference in future.
Regards,
Devneet Mohanty,
SS&C Blueprism Community MVP 2024,
Automation Architect,
Wonderbotz India Pvt. Ltd.

lorenzwagner
Level 4

@devneetmohanty07  Thank you for your comprehensive answer.

Regarding each point:

1) I checked and I'm ready to use the latest version.

2) I did include your process flow, but this email inbox actually only receives emails with attachments, so it can't happen that it's an email without an attachment. So the process always runs through, even with the decision stage. I've also removed the "FileName" field and then the .pdf is saved under the original name, but if I fill in the field, nothing is saved. I've also tried SaveAttachments and it doesn't work there either.+

3) Thanks for the tip, but that's exactly how the process is supposed to behave.

Do you have any other ideas why it's not working?

hi @lorenzwagner 

If I understood correctly when you try the Save Attachment action it doesn't work when you put ("file.pdf") in the filename field. If you want to save pdf files you only need to put "*.pdf" in filename. See below the documentation : 

Mohamad_747_2-1717495759338.png

Try to use Save Attachements and provide inputs like this : 

Mohamad_747_1-1717495590011.png

I hope it will help you 🙂

Hi @lorenzwagner Field 'File Name' in VBO action denotes which attachment in the list of attachments of email you want to save. Its does not mean the file name with which you want to save the file as.

Therefore, if you give a name which is not present in the list of attachment , action will not do anything as there is no attachment with that file name.

If you do not give any file name default value of *.*is taken and it will save all attachment/attachments.

If you want to change the name with which an attachment should be saved instead of original name, you will need to modify the code a stage a little,

Add an additional parameter lets says saveas and modify the code stage sth like below.

ReemaKasliwal01_0-1717512487964.png

ReemaKasliwal01_1-1717512549411.png