cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching to Edge using Tracking ID

SimonWoolley
Level 2

Hi
I'm just getting early hands-on with 7.1.2. I've created an object for basic MS Edge actions, which includes a launch page that returns the Tracking ID for that window. This is aimed at promoting object re-use and using the new Tracking ID feature. 
When calling this from another object, BP still requires me to Attach to the Edge window. But there is no option within the Navigate > Attach stage to pass an existing Tracking Id as an input. 
Obviously, I can just attach to the page using a window title etc but feel this negates the advantage of having the Tracking ID to work with from initial launch.
Other than moving the launch page into each individual object, or attaching and generating a new Tracking ID, is there any other way of achieving this?

------------------------------
Simon Woolley
1 REPLY 1

stepher
Level 5

@Simon Woolley,

The way that I would address this is to set the Tracking ID variable on your 'Launch' page to be open to all pages (Global variable).  If your process only has the one object, your 'Attach' page can read this value, and you should be good. 

If you need to use multiple objects against the application, then you will need to pass the value back up to your Process, and back down to the other Objects.  If this is the case, I would suggest setting a gloabl Tracking ID variable on the Initilize page of the other Objects (mostly for consistency).  I would also have one action per Object that is solely intended to populate this variable.  Otherwise, you end up having to pass the Tracking ID, from Process to Object, for each action (tedious on a good day).

I do all of the above when I need to use the Windows Process ID as a part of the attachment parameters.  I hope it helps.

Red

Robert "Red" Stephens
Application Developer, RPA
Sutter Health
Sacramento, CA
Robert "Red" Stephens Application Developer, RPA Sutter Health Sacramento, CA