cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Prism 7.2.1 - Error attaching two (02) different Objects to the same MS Edge Chromium process

flavio.lara
Level 5
Hello Experts.
We are migrating our BP from 6.10.2 to 7.2.1.
While evaluating an existing process, we identified that an error occurs when we tried to attach 02 different objects to the same website (using edge chromium).
Error message: Internal : Failed to perform step 1 in Navigate Stage 'Attach' on page 'Attach' - Failed to attach - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.  
Steps to reproduce the error:
  1. Object 1 - Launch Edge (E.g: www.google.com)
  2. Object 1 - Attach using process name "msedge"
  3. Returns to the BP Process without Detach
  4. Object 2 - Try to Attach to the same process using process name "msedge" (returns an error)
  5. Object 2 - Executes any action on the site (not possible)
    Business Objects Config:
  • Object 1
    • Application Manager Mode – External 64 bits 
  • Object 2
    • Application Manager Mode – External 64 bits 
Notes: 
  • After step 2 we can find AppMan64.exe running
  • In step 4 we can see a new AppMan64.exe process being created but ended quickly (then the exception pops up on the process)
  • If we detach Object 1 before calling the attach action in Object 2 it works
IMPORTANT: If we change the application manager mode to "Embedded" for both objects it works. However, we understand that "Embedded" is there just for compatibility with old versions of Blue Prism and the best practice is to use "External" options (to have a separate process responsible for interacting with the application - AppMan64.exe or AppMan32.exe, depending on the app architecture. It gives more control and prevents Automate.exe from crashing during critical errors).
Although this issue refers to a delay, not an error.
Our questions are: 
Is it possible to attach multiple objects to the same Web Browser (Edge Chromium, Chrome) without detaching?
We tested using a regular Windows app (like notepad.exe) and it works perfectly without detaching any object.
Is there any restriction for this scenario related to BP Extension, AppMan.exe, and BluePrism.MessagingHost.exe (introduced in BP 7)?
Why is it working when both objects are set as "Embedded"?
Runtime Specs: 
Blue Prism: 7.2.1
Blue Prism Extension for Edge Chromium: Version 7.2.0.0 
Windows 11 64 bits - 22H2 - Build 22621.1848
Edge Chromium: Version 120.0.2210.89 (Official build) (64-bit) 
We have an opened ticket with the support but without a definitive answer until know.
We appreciate any information the community could provide about what should be the best way to solve this issue.
Thanks!
Regards,

------------------------------
Flavio Lara
System Analyst
Vallourec Tubos do Brasil
Belo HorizonteBrazil

8 REPLIES 8

DavidAnderson
Level 3

For the application modeller are you using the Windows Application or Browser-based Application (Chrome, Firefox or Edge Chromium. I found in version 7 I had to switch to Windows Application for Edge to work properly.

David Anderson

This was just for launching Edge. I could still utilize the old browser modeller for all the automation I had setup.

David Anderson

Hello David.

We're using Browser-based Application (Chrome, Firefox or Edge Chromium in both objects.

I'll give you more details about why we have multiple objects interacting with the same website:
In our environment we have a "Global Object" for Edge Chromium. So, launch, terminate, navigate, download Files, and so on are managed by this object (all actions that can be shared among different processes). The specific parts of the website are managed by specific objects (login, navigation, and so one). So our processes normally use 2 objects. 01 general and 01 specific.
It worked fine in 6.10.2, but in 7.2.1 it's not.

I'll test the suggestion you shared and post the results here.

Thank you

Flavio Lara
System Analyst
Belo HorizonteBrazil

Hello David.

I've changed the "Object 1" from "Browser-based" to "Windows  Application" and it worked.

However, all "browser-based actions" stopped working (I've expected that). If I can not find any other option, maybe the solution is to rewrite this object using your idea and replace these impacted actions using a different approach.

Thank you again.

Flavio Lara
System Analyst
Belo HorizonteBrazil

I had created a separate Business Object for Launching Edge as a Windows App it attaches as well. 

I kept the original Business Object as it was as a Browser App.

After it launches and attaches via the new BO Windows App it then runs the previous Browser based Application by attaching with that one and continuing on as normal.

David Anderson

Do you have any check in your windows app BO to wait the website finish loading?

Flavio Lara
System Analyst
Belo HorizonteBrazil

Here is kind of my setup. I forgot a little how I setup.

BO-Edge
|
LaunchTab
|
|
Action (calls BO-EdgeApp Launch)
|
|
Action Attach (calls Attach tab in BO-Edge) Everything after this point is done in BO-Edge except the end Exit function is in BO-EdgeApp
|
|
Wait (Element - Main Page - Parent Document Loaded)

BO-EdgeApp
|
Launch Tab
|
|
Navigate (Launch Edge)
|
|
Wait (Static Wait Time)
|
|
Verify Process Exists