cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bot and Human working on same file

Neel1
MVP
Hello - What are the best practice for bot working on a file which human is also updating  and of course human can open the file at any time of day.

------------------------------
Neeraj Kumar
Technical Architect
6 REPLIES 6

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hi @Neeraj Kumar,

I would say the general rule of thumb is don't do this. 🙂 However, it comes down to your use case and the software/platform that's involved. Many software packages will not allow more than one person to edit a file at one time because they're not designed for concurrency. Are you talking about something like Excel or something else?

Cheers,​

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

Hello @ewilson - Max time i tried to follow general rule of thumb to avoid chaos 🙂

Yes, i am talking about Excel File.​​

Neeraj Kumar
Technical Architect

Hi @Neeraj Kumar,

Are you talking about a shared excel file which is available on the sharepoint​​ or a local version of it since you 2 people can't work on same file at the same time.

Manpreet Kaur
Manager
Deloitte

Hello @ManpreetKaur1 - Yes. i am talking about Excel file placed in a share drive where BOT and Human can update the excel.​

Neeraj Kumar
Technical Architect

Satish1414
Level 4
Hi Neeraj ,

You can try below scenarios .
1)Lets say the Human can update the document before the scheduler kicks in there by when the BOT starts the schedulers no issues .
2)If the Human is updating the file during the scheduler time-- try to Defer the queue item which has the dependency on the File and try after Defer time .

Hope this helps .

Best,
Satish Gunturi

Satish Gunturi

Hello Satish - thanks for your reply.

i am considering these workaround only. Once Human is done updating the file then i am running the bot again to pick the value.

My question was more around solution to problem.

Neeraj Kumar
Technical Architect