cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop-down selection with Application Modeller

EllenPeereboom
Level 4
Hi all,

Currently running into problems with the application modeller. I'm aiming to select an item on the drop-down menu on a web-based application (Chrome). This is the complete menu: 

17624.png
I used two navigate steps:

17625.png

17626.png

With this being the result:
17627.png

So I have been able to select the desired element, but it doesn't appear to really 'click' since the page does not load. When I continue with a navigate stage to another button, the drop-down menu automatically 'resets' to DOM1, since DOM13 was never properly selected in the first place. 

Am I approaching this correctly? What should I do differently? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
Ellen Peereboom
1 REPLY 1

Hi Ellen,

I'm going to have to make some assumptions here that it's a pretty standard web-page, with that in mind your approach is correct but sadly in many cases the interaction of a digital worker aren't picked up.

If we are talking a standard website, you normally have a couple of methods that work:
  • A Global Send Keys/Events of the {ENTER} when you land on the one you want and it doesn't click will often suffice
  • Combining your steps into the same action and putting a fair wait stage in-between them can also solve this issue
  • A less robust one is to stay on the thing you want for a while and then interact with a standard element on the page, normally meaning the dropdown selects what is selected.
  • If none of these work;
    • You could look at more unstable Global Send Keys techniques depending on how consistent the website is i.e. make a logical decision and stick by it
    • Or some trial and error with focusing, activating and pauses can be helpful

My approach when forced through the UI often centres building a basic logic that underpins why I'm doing something, and then trying to make the robots interaction a bit more human.

Hope this helps,

James

James McLintock
Process Analyst and Developer
Blue Prism
Europe/London