Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get a row number of the cell including a specific word in Excel

HongJooChoi
Staff
Staff
Hi, all

Is there any way to get a row number of the cell that has a specific word? (Assume that word is unique in the sheet)
For example,  I want to get "4" as a row number of the cell that has "Settings-001". 

I appreciate for your help in advance.

15579.png

Regards

------------------------------
HongJoo Choi
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi Hongjoo,

For your use case, I have built a workflow that you can use:.

Workflow Design:

15538.png

Explanation:

Here, I am connecting to an excel file using the actions 'Create Instance', 'Show' and 'Open Workbook' actions of 'MS Excel - Extended' VBO. Once you are connected to the given file path in the 'Open Workbook' action, the Workbook Name data item will be generated which you can use in the subsequent actions.

The next action that I've used is 'Find' action of 'MS Excel - Extended' VBO where you need to provide the inputs such as handle, workbook name, worksheet name, range, find text and starting cell. What this action does is that it will active the cell where the text is found. In my case, I am searching for the text, 'Cian' which is at cell 'A50' as shown below:

15539.png

15540.png

Once you provide the correct parameters, use the action 'Get Active Cell' of 'MS Excel - Extended' VBO which will return you the cell reference that is currently activated which in my case is 'A50'.

15542.png
Now close the excel instance. In order to now extract just the number field from the cell reference which indicates the row number part, we can use the 'Extract Regex Values' action of 'Utility - String Manipulation' which requires a predefined collection called 'Named Values' having two columns called as 'Name' and 'Value'. Since we want to extract only the row number which is '50' from the cell reference data item which has the current value 'A50' from prior action. I will set up my collection as follows:

15543.png
Here I have only mentioned one name called as the 'RowNumber' which will refer to the regex expression group that I will be using ahead.

Now for the action, you will need to define the text where the regex extraction will work along with the regex expression which in our case is : "(?<RowNumber>\d+)" and I store the result back in the same 'Named Values' collection.
15544.png
15545.png

Upon execution of this action, you can see the current value of the 'Named Value' collection where the Value column for the row having 'RowNumber' text is populated with the extracted value:

15546.png

Referenced VBOS':

Now you can use this value where you require in your process ahead. Do let me know in case you have any queries regarding the solution.

----------------------------------
Hope it helps you and if it resolves you query please mark it as the best answer so that others having the same problem can track the answer easily

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,
Wonderbotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JeevanR
Level 5
Hi HongJoo

You can use the find action in the MS Excel VBO, it returns the corresponding cell reference, from the cell reference you can extract the row number.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jeevan

Jeevan R
Jeevan Rangaraju - AD01 Certified RPA Professional Associate Consultant Ernst & Young LLP Bangalore, India Email - jjeevan152@gmail.com

Hi Hongjoo,

For your use case, I have built a workflow that you can use:.

Workflow Design:

15538.png

Explanation:

Here, I am connecting to an excel file using the actions 'Create Instance', 'Show' and 'Open Workbook' actions of 'MS Excel - Extended' VBO. Once you are connected to the given file path in the 'Open Workbook' action, the Workbook Name data item will be generated which you can use in the subsequent actions.

The next action that I've used is 'Find' action of 'MS Excel - Extended' VBO where you need to provide the inputs such as handle, workbook name, worksheet name, range, find text and starting cell. What this action does is that it will active the cell where the text is found. In my case, I am searching for the text, 'Cian' which is at cell 'A50' as shown below:

15539.png

15540.png

Once you provide the correct parameters, use the action 'Get Active Cell' of 'MS Excel - Extended' VBO which will return you the cell reference that is currently activated which in my case is 'A50'.

15542.png
Now close the excel instance. In order to now extract just the number field from the cell reference which indicates the row number part, we can use the 'Extract Regex Values' action of 'Utility - String Manipulation' which requires a predefined collection called 'Named Values' having two columns called as 'Name' and 'Value'. Since we want to extract only the row number which is '50' from the cell reference data item which has the current value 'A50' from prior action. I will set up my collection as follows:

15543.png
Here I have only mentioned one name called as the 'RowNumber' which will refer to the regex expression group that I will be using ahead.

Now for the action, you will need to define the text where the regex extraction will work along with the regex expression which in our case is : "(?<RowNumber>\d+)" and I store the result back in the same 'Named Values' collection.
15544.png
15545.png

Upon execution of this action, you can see the current value of the 'Named Value' collection where the Value column for the row having 'RowNumber' text is populated with the extracted value:

15546.png

Referenced VBOS':

Now you can use this value where you require in your process ahead. Do let me know in case you have any queries regarding the solution.

Hope it helps you and if it resolves you query please mark it as the best answer so that others having the same problem can track the answer easily

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty

Hi @devneetmohanty07, is it possible to create an action for extracting the row number from the cell reference which is stored in a data item​ without using string utility?
I remember i had used this action in one of my projects but currently i dont have access to it so just wanted to know how it can be done.

Regards,

Jeevan R
Jeevan Rangaraju - AD01 Certified RPA Professional Associate Consultant Ernst & Young LLP Bangalore, India Email - jjeevan152@gmail.com

Hi Jeevan,

Yes you are absolutely right, you can also do that just by adding one line of code in the code stage of the given 'Get Active Cell' action. However, this is not there by default I think. Someone might have modified the code to create that kind of an action which you are mentioning. The code changes are as follows:

15559.png
Here, I have added this line which is, rowNumber = ActiveCell.Row where you can map the rowNumber variable as an output argument.

The reason why I didn't mention any code stage was because I generally use code stages if the requirement is quite complex to achieve with the existing Blue Prism artefacts or if there are concerns regarding the performance optimization. For this use case though I think general Blue Prism actions are more than enough. Also, many times organizations restrict the usage of code stages

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty

Thanks for the information, this really saves a lot of time.

Jeevan R