cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pass variables wd* specific to MS Word into code stage

franlem2
Level 4

Hi,

I am trying to pass some enumerations from Word VBA into a code stage using the Word VBO.

MS Word internal code is using some enumerations that are not recognised by VB code stages.

For example :

Dim doc as Object = GetDocument(Handle,documentname)
    doc.MailMerge.OpenDataSource (DataSourceName, SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM `ABC$`")

With doc.MailMerge
        .Destination = wdSendToNewDocument

End With

Error message is wdSendToNewDocument is not declared. It may be inaccessible due to its protection level.
This issue only happen with enumerations starting by wd*  (e.g : wdDefaultFirstRecord , wdDefaultLastRecord etc..).

Enumerations starting by wd* are specific to Word VBA.

Is there a workaround for this ?

4 REPLIES 4

franlem2
Level 4
I actually replaced each enumeration wd* by the corresponding integer value, available in the Office Dev Center and this way it worked.

For example :

can be replaced by...
.Destination = 0

If someone has the same question the full mapping Enumeration - Integer value is here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/word(enumerations)

------------------------------
François Lemarié
Blue Prism Consultant
Addstones-Gfi
Europe/Paris

Quick styling tip, I find it's best to include the enumeration name as a constant before you use it. Otherwise, it can get very difficult for any future devs/maintainers to determine what 0 is referring to.

For example:
Const wdSendToNewDocument As Integer = 0
With doc.MailMerge

Thanks for the link by the way. Handy reference and easier than manually looking things up through VBA.

Nicholas Zejdlik
RPA Developer

Hi Nicholas,

Indeed. This style is used in the code stage page ExportPDF the comes by default by the way.
Thanks for this suggestion and contribution.

François Lemarié
Blue Prism Consultant
Addstones-Gfi
Europe/Paris

AyshaM
Level 3
I am getting an error on the "GetDocument" part
where it says that "GetDocument is not declared it maybe be inaccessible due to its protection level"

Am I missing something? I double checked all the  references I have with the MS Word VBO provided object and they all seem to be in place.
13914.png

Aysha M