cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to run a process on a specific machine which is in a Resource Pool

ManishRaw
Level 7
Is there a way to directly drop down and run a process on a machine which is in a Resource Pool? Either by manual drag and drop or by Scheduler? We have a background process Reboot machine which when dropped multiple times on a resource pool is creating new sessions on the same machine than distributing it across the Resource Pool machines.

------------------------------
Manish Rawat
Project Manager
Mercer
New Delhi
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

If a resource is running a Background process then technically it is 'not busy' and available to run another Background (or Foreground) process, according to the way business object Run Modes work. I think that's why the same resource is chosen - if the running process was Exclusive, then another pool member would be selected for the next process.

Perhaps ideally the pool member selection logic should be 'find the least busy member' but I think it's actually 'find the next member capable of running this process', and if the Run Modes align, then that next member may already be running a process.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

View answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

lookman
Staff
Staff
Hi Manish.

Unfortunately once a runtime resource has been made a member of a pool, it is no longer available for independent assignment of work. 

Take a look at the guide for more details: Blue Prism (see section 5).

You'll have to log into the portal to read it.

jack

Jack Look
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the guide. I have a question around running background processes in resource pool.

When we drop a background processes on a resource pool it is always creating sessions on one runtime resource and is not distributed across pool, is there a way to distribute all the background processes evenly in the resource pool?

Regards,
Manish

Manish Rawat
Project Manager
Mercer
New Delhi

Hi Manish.

As I understand resource pools, there is no load-balancing capability; just whatever resource is available is used.

jack

Jack Look
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism

Hi Jack,

Is there a way that the resource will be shown as busy in case a background process has been dropped on one of the machine? Else in the scenario mentioned all the background processes will be sent to the same resource irrespective of the number of resources in the pool.

Manish Rawat
Project Manager
Mercer
New Delhi

If a resource is running a Background process then technically it is 'not busy' and available to run another Background (or Foreground) process, according to the way business object Run Modes work. I think that's why the same resource is chosen - if the running process was Exclusive, then another pool member would be selected for the next process.

Perhaps ideally the pool member selection logic should be 'find the least busy member' but I think it's actually 'find the next member capable of running this process', and if the Run Modes align, then that next member may already be running a process.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hi Manish.

I concur with John.

jack

Jack Look
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism