cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue in Write Collection (Fast) action in MS Excel VBO

Hi Team,

I am facing an issue while using Write Collection (Fast) action in Excel VBO. When there is already data in Excel and Bot is trying to write from the specific cell it's replacing the adjacent column or Row with blank values.
@ewilson Please look into the issue it seems to be a bug in the code stage.

Below is an example of the same.
Initial Value in my Excel as below image,
15118.png
Now BOT is using Write Collection (Fast) to write Value in B2 as 10, then the adjacent rows and column value automatically became blank

15119.png
Similarly when BOT is using Write Collection (Fast) to write Value in B2 as 10 and B3 as 5, then the adjacent column turns to blank.

15120.png

------------------------------
Amlan Sahoo
Senior RPA Consultant
WonderBotz

Regards,
Amlan Sahoo
48 REPLIES 48

Hi Til,

You are correct. They changed the code the same way it is used for Get Worksheet As Collection. In that way, if we set "Use Header = False" then the column names will start from Column1 not column0.

Amlan Sahoo
Senior RPA Consultant
WonderBotz
Regards,
Amlan Sahoo

Hi Til,

Please can you advise on my testing.

Here is my original data. A simple excel worksheet of 6 rows including headings.

14840.png
Here are my parameters to the action Get Worksheet Range As Collection.

14841.png
Collection Outputs - Use Header = True

14842.png
Collection Outputs - Use Header = False

14843.png
Please can you advise what you are seeing, I will continue to test the other action you mentioned. My colleague in the US will be around later this afternoon, we can bring her into the conversation also.

regards

Geoff Hirst
Senior DX Engineer - Digital Exchange - EMEA
SS&C Blue Prism
Geoff Hirst Senior DX Engineer - Digital Exchange - EMEA SS&C Blue Prism

Hi Geoff,

What Till is trying to convey here is in your 2nd scenario when the Use Header = False. You can see the output collection starts with Column 1 earlier with the old code it was starting with Column0.
Earlier BOT was using the Clipboard method in which columns are starting with Column0 and now with the recent change it is starting with Column1.

I hope you understand now with this explanation.

Amlan Sahoo
Senior RPA Consultant
WonderBotz
Regards,
Amlan Sahoo

Gentlemen,

Apologies for my lack of speed here, I was actually looking for a problem with the data input. I think I now follow what you are both referring to. Please see the image below and reply if this is how you REALLY need it to look, forgive me if the space between Column and number is incorrect, I will take advice on how that should actually be from you.

14907.png
Please advise based on the above image.

regards

Geoff Hirst
Senior DX Engineer - Digital Exchange - EMEA
SS&C Blue Prism
Geoff Hirst Senior DX Engineer - Digital Exchange - EMEA SS&C Blue Prism

Hi Geoff,

Actually, if you will change the same for Get Worksheet As Collection then a lot of code may fail again because for that particular action. If you want to change then change it only for the actions "Get Worksheet Range as Collection" and "Get Worksheet as Collection Offset" as these are affected only after the 18th April changes. Please don't change for Get Worksheet As Collection.
For the Get Worksheet As Collection action, the headers are appearing as column1, Column2 even in the previous releases. So it is advisable not to change anything for this action.
I hope I am clear in my explanation.

Amlan Sahoo
Senior RPA Consultant
WonderBotz

Regards,
Amlan Sahoo

Hey there,

Amlan summed this up well. In earlier versions of the VBO Column0 was the start of the column index. Thus all processes that were developed against the old version will show a wrong behaviour in the new version, resulting in either wrong data in a column or, more likely, process terminates.

Easiest way would be to change the column index to begin with 0 instead of 1 for the mentioned actions. Otherwise each process that relies on column0 somewhere would have to be adjusted for the new version.

Best regards
Til

Til Minet
RPA Developer
EWE AG Germany
Oldenburg

FYI - We've had a quick discussion about this and an update is forthcoming. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

Hi Geoff,

Only way to solve the issue. Revert back the changes for "Get Worksheet Range as Collection" and "Get Worksheet as Collection Offset"  to some earlier version. I mean the old way as it was using clipboard method and create two new actions those will not be using Clipboard method with some new name. So in that way there will be no impact  to old and new actions.

Amlan Sahoo
Senior RPA Consultant
WonderBotz
Regards,
Amlan Sahoo

@_Amlansahoo 

We're addressing the issue directly in the code instead of rolling back the changes. That way you still get the new capability, and we don't have to introduce two additional public actions to an already large VBO.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

Regards,
Amlan Sahoo