cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with fetching email from a specific folder in MS Outlook

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,
I am working on a project where some specific emails are stored in a folder called "testing" (screenshot 1). I need to read only these emails. For this reason I used MS outlook email VBO "get received email (basic)" with subfolder name "testing" (screenshot 2). Unfortunately, it shows the result 0 ( item count: 0, item: empty). How can I solve this problem?

Note: Blue Prism version 7.1.2, Outlook version: MS 365

Screenshot 1:
35533.png
Screenshot 2:
35534.png

1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

ewilson
Staff
Staff

@Ekram Shihab 

Have you downloaded the latest release of the Outlook VBO from the Digital Exchange? If not, start with that. Once you have it, you'll want to look at the action Get Items in Folder. Check the help or user guide for details about how to reference folders using the \\ notation.

Cheers,
Eric

View answer in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Babjee24
Level 7

Hi @Ekram Shihab ,

Reading from sub folder mean it should a child folder for Inbox as shown in below screenshot. Here BP Community is a subfolder of Inbox from which we can read emails from, whereas Test is not a subfolder 
35526.png
We can read an email from the other folder outside of Inbox by knowing the MAPI Folder ID that is mapped to it by outlook.  By default the Folder ID for Inbox is 6 (as shown in screenshot) similarly if you can get the folder ID that is mapped to the folder outside the Inbox in your case for testing.

35527.png

Hope this helps for you

Babjee Vangipurapu
Senior RPA Developer
India

Babjee24
Level 7

Hi @Ekram Shihab ,

I'm also trying to find a script that can find the Folder ID given the folder name as an input. Looping fellow community members and Blueprism advisory for further tips. @Tejaskumar_Darji @devneetmohanty07@Harish M@ewilson@_Amlansahoo if you've any inputs on how to find Folder ID that has been created in outlook would be of great help.

Babjee Vangipurapu
Senior RPA Developer
India

ewilson
Staff
Staff

@Ekram Shihab 

Have you downloaded the latest release of the Outlook VBO from the Digital Exchange? If not, start with that. Once you have it, you'll want to look at the action Get Items in Folder. Check the help or user guide for details about how to reference folders using the \\ notation.

Cheers,
Eric

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @ewilson for informing the new update of the MS Outlook VBO. It worked.
@Babjee Vangipurapu you can also have a look.

AdamRöjdemark
Level 2

@ewilson

Get Items in Folder does not seem to work for a sub folder within a "Shared Mailbox" (I've tested Get Received Items as well, it gives same result). Is there a solution to this problem?

Fetching from Inbox which works:

35528.png
35529.png
However, trying to fetch the item in the sub folder: 

35530.png
35531.png

ewilson
Staff
Staff

Hi Adam,

First, are you using the latest release of the VBO available from the DX? Second, can you try changing your folder name to something like test and try it again? Occasionally, special characters or even white space at the end of the folder name can cause the search to fail.

Cheers,

Eric 

AdamRöjdemark
Level 2

Yes, I have the latest version. For some reason it worked today after I changed the name of the sub folder. It even worked after I changed back to "sub-folder". Very strange... 

Anyways, thanks for a quick response! 

ewilson
Staff
Staff

Adam,

One thing that might have played into this is that Shared Mailboxes aren't always sync'd to the local PST file in real time. There's a setting in Outlook that controls how they are managed. The Outlook VBO uses the local Outlook API to interrogate data in the PST, so if the folder hasn't sync'd from Exchange to the PST that could cause the search to fail. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

Eric