cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launching an Application from a Restricted Folder

MatthewMilward
Level 2

I have an application which, for security purposes in my organisation, has to be stored in a restricted folder location C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\. This has caused issues when trying to launch the application in Blue Prism, due to the access restrictions. I have tried launching via App Modeller, Command Prompt, Win+R and a shortcut to the .exe file location, all with no success. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to launch an application from a restricted folder?

1 REPLY 1

IanB
Level 3

For some additional context (I am an infrastructure engineer colleague of Matthew's)

Background

What is 'windows apps' hidden folder and why can't I access it? - Microsoft Community

WindowsApp folder is where modern apps sandboxed from everything in the system which makes them rather secure compared to other desktop programs.

So in our organisation more and more applications are being packaged in this way for security reasons. While we could 'break in' to the folder by changing NTFS permissions as per the link above, this is not really an appropriate approach as it will go against our security approach.