cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locally installed BP pointing to Azure hosted App & DB server

HarikrishnaMura
Level 4
Hi All,

I have BP env setup on azure and we use VMs on Azure to build. I am currently trying to see if i can install BP on my local and point the connection to Azure. No success there!

Has anyone tried this? BP has mentioned that they have not tried it yet.

------------------------------
-Hari
4 REPLIES 4

SteveWaters
Staff
Staff
Hari;

It would be good to know more about the details.  Generally speaking BP does not deal well with latency so where you are located and where BP is installed matters. 

App Servers & Databases should be local to each other.  Even Consoles should be close to their App Servers.  

I would not recommend running BP in a local data center using a PaaS database.  

Steve Waters
Platform Consultant
Blue Prism Professional Services
America/Chicago

Thank you so much Steve!

The Azure server is in East US (Virginia) and i am out of Utica, NY (NY Upstate). Both the APP Server & Database is out of the same cloud location.

The reason for me trying to use BP on my local machine (Laptop) is to do code validation & reviews and not active development / testing. It would be helpful if i can have a local installation and use the same license. And also if it is pointed to the same DB, i would not need to import a package to local to do validation/review.

Regards,
Hari

Harikrishna Murali
Vice President
BNY Mellon
America/New_York

It must be the Azure DB firewall blocking your connection.

Gopal Bhaire
Analyst
Accenture

Hari:

No worries glad to help.

A lot of people address this by using RDP or Citrix to remote into a VM in the environment.  To your point I wouldn't recommend doing development this way but just  running the BP console shouldn't be too big an issue.  Obviously you're in the best position to determine if the user experience is adequate.   If performance is an issue than it's most likely latency and you may want to consider using remote access.  

Steve Waters
Platform Consultant
Blue Prism Professional Services
America/Chicago