cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Excel VBO

RajathGopal
Level 5
Hello, I have added logic to MS Excel VBO to color a cell when the cell range input range is passed.  I just believe it is not a good practice because we will have to provide the MS Excel VBO to be imported in the production server if there is any new update released by Blueprism we will have to keep integrating it.. Is there any other way to handle this ?
19 REPLIES 19

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Yes, make a copy of the VBO and put your amendments in the duplicate. Leave the original intact so you can import an newer version without overwriting your bespoke code. You can apply the same principle to all the utility objects.

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
Best practice is to never amend the standard package Blue Prism VBOs. If you want to create a new action you should add it to a seperate object rather than amending a Blue Prism VBO.  To do this with Excel I have previously created a copy of the standard VBO with my new extended name and deleted all the actions except the ones related to lauch and attach.  Then I added my new actions into it.  When interfacing with Excel I might then have two objects connected to it.

RajathGopal
Level 5
I also tried saving the MS Excel VBO as a new Object and tried modifying it but i was unable to execute the stage that i need as it was failing in Check Handle stage. So if any of you guys have added an extra stage could you please help me out with it as to how you went through it

RajathGopal
Level 5
I get an error ""The given key was not present in the dictionary"" when i create a new extended object and use the same to perform the action

IshanMahajan
Level 7
You can use a macro to handle excel work, just call the macro from BluePrism.

Save the object at a different name MS Excel VBO Extended

RekhaR
Level 2
You can try cloning MS Excel VBO , rename it as required, make necessary changes for color formatting and package it with your Blue Prism release.

JivankumarKedar
Level 3
You can use code stage for formatting the excel sheet any way you want. All you need is Interop DLL. Code stage will allow you to do formatting in few lines.

RajathGopal
Level 5
Thanks for your replies.  I actually did try saving it as a new one and then amending my actions to a new one. When i do this it always fails and i get an error ""The given key was not present in the dictionary"".  I am not sure why i am receiving this error i tired copying the MS Excel VBO from the previously existing one and added the new actions, also tried importing a new one and then added the new actions but still no go it just throws an error as mentioned above.  Any idea where i am going wrong