cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mainframe Changes in v6.1.0

DavidEdwards-Da
Level 5
We recently upgraded our environment to 6.1.0, which per the release notes has brought changes to the Mainframe emulator integration. I quickly found that many of my mainframe objects were not working, when I checked into these I noticed that they were showing errors in Object Studio "The chosen action in row 1 is not permitted for the corresponding element type". When I accessed the properties for the navigate stages, the action dropdown was blank.   The release notes are written in a way that conveys that the new "Send Keys Mainframe" function is an addition, not a removal of the old "Send Keys" function. I went through and updated all the navigation stages that used "Send Keys" to the new function, only to find that the mnemonics for function keys no longer worked, simply sending @E, @C etc through as text.   Within the help files included in Blue Prism, I found that mnemonics are now covered by control codes. Converting my stages over to the new format worked, but as a point of discussion would it have not been better to depreciate the old "Send Keys" and throw a warning in Object Studio that it will be removed in the future, pointing people to the new functionality and it's documentation?   Additionally, the Mainframe Automation guide linked below needs updating for v6: https://portal.blueprism.com/system/files/2017-09/Mainframe%20Automation_0.pdf   Screenshots of the issue can be found at: https://imgur.com/a/AyVhR
2 REPLIES 2

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
Hello David, Like you say, the new functionality should be an addition not a replacement.  The expectation is work done in previous versions of Blue Prism should still work in newer versions - so I would suggest you raise your findings with the Blue Prism support team who can pass your feedback onto our product team. Regarding your upgrade, I am hoping you have follewed an evaluation first upgrade path rather than just upgrading all your environments.  My recommendation is always to create a sandbox upgrade test environment where a new release can be tested against your existing solutions - when something like your mainframe issue is found you can then make a management decision to go ahead or not (potentially postponing a full upgrade until Blue Prism have fixed your issue)   Den

StephenColeman
Level 4
Hi David, Facing a similar issue, can you point me in the direction of these control codes please? The Mainframe guide still isn't updated. Thanks, Steve