cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mainframe (TSO Emulator) automation

Arun_KumarPalan
Level 3
Hello,

I am working on Mainframe automation using BluePrism for which I am establishing the connectivity by configuring below details in Application Modeler (Object Studio). 

1. Indicate what type of application you are using: Mainframe Application - IBM Personal Communicator (COM API).
  2. Path to session file: I have provided the folder path where the session file (*.ws) is present.
  3. Session Identifier: A
  4. Polling interval (in milliseconds) during wait operations: 250
  5. Timeout interval (in seconds) during wait operations: 30
  6. Select the Application Manager mode: Embedded (default)

Note: I am using 32-bit windows platform.

After Save and Launch, it throws below error.

Error - Failed to launch application - Launch failed: Error from ConnectToHostOrSession: Unable to create ActiveX component.

30847.png

Any suggestion / solution to overcome this issue?

------------------------------
Arun Kumar Palanisamy
6 REPLIES 6

PvD_SE
Level 12
Hi Arun,

Two question:
  • Is your 'IBM Personal Communicator' application 32-bit?
  • Are you able to launch the 'IBM Personal Communicator' application yourself and login?

Happy coding!
---------------
Paul
Sweden
Happy coding!
Paul, Sweden
(By all means, do not mark this as the best answer!)

Hello Paul,

My machine is 32-bit and I am able to launch the TSO Emulator application manually with no issues. The above issue I am facing is when establishing the connectivity from BluePrism.
Note: The IBM Personal Communications package is installed in different server and I am trying to connect and launch the application from different VDI where BluePrism is available. Will this cause this error?

Thanks,
Arun

Arun Kumar Palanisamy

Hi Arun,

My experience with this is the need to have the emulator installed where you are running your process. In my, and probably your case that means I need it on my development VDI in order to be able to create, test and maintain my object, and for running the process in production, the emulator needs to be installed even there. This means two installations, and two licenses. ...and probably paying twice...

Happy coding!
---------------
Paul
Sweden
Happy coding!
Paul, Sweden
(By all means, do not mark this as the best answer!)

Even if the IBM Personal Communications package is installed on another server, the API module must be installed and configured correctly on the local machine. Why don't you first check that the API is working fine?

Bohyon Hwang
Director
블루프리즘
Seoul
+82262033950

Thanks Bohyon,

Can you please help me with the steps to check whether API module is installed and configured correctly on the local machine? Thanks.

Arun Kumar Palanisamy

Blue Prism supports PCOMM via COM API or HLLAPI
The message "Unable to create ActiveX component." indicates that you've chosen IBM PCOMM (COM API) option.
It also shows that some configuration for COM Objects such as ActiveX components has not been configured properly.
Probably some vendors message book will help you.
Refer following, for examples.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/access/activex-component-cannot-create-object
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/incompatibility-between-ibm-personal-communications-automation-objects-and-64-bit-microsoft-office-programs

Bohyon Hwang
Director
블루프리즘
Seoul
+82262033950