cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Automation - Unable to access subfolders

PawelMrozik
Level 3
Hello All,

I am currently working on a project in which the required data is pulled from emails in Outlook. I've managed to get quite far and so far the automation can:

• Pull emails from Outlook via the Outlook VBO
  • Parse and process the data in those emails and create a queue item
  • Interact with the end application to insert and save the required data
So that looks great, except there is one problem. The emails that are being processed are forwarded by me to my own Inbox for test purposes. 

The real emails reside in a Shared Inbox folder that's three levels down from the inbox:

\\Mailbox\Inbox\Subfolder\Subfolder 2\Subfolder 3

I've tried getting the Outlook VBO, and some other modified extended VBOs to read Subfolder 3, but to no avail.

I read somewhere that it could be due to having Cached Exchange Mode on, but turning it off did not help either. 

So I have these solutions:

1. Ask the owner of the mailbox to turn off the filter that sends those incoming emails to that folder, and instead send it to the main Inbox the way it used to be more than a year ago. This would probably be the simplest solution and I may be complicating things, but the fact I can't get to subfolders makes me uneasy. It would also be useful to know if I come across similar issues in the future. 
  2. Create a new Object Model for Outlook and use UIA to get to the data I need. I have already started this, but I am doing extra work for something that is already pretty much working. 
  3. Learn how to use the Microsoft Graph API for Outlook, which looks like it could solve my problem, but I believe it would require me to get access keys and I would have to ask around. I would like to do this too, but for now my priority is to get this project in a working state. 

Ideally, I would just like to be able to access that folder directly and don't understand why the VBO cannot find the subfolder. 

I had a look at the documentation for the Outlook Extended VBO, and here is what it says:

37021.jpg

Has anyone come across this before? Is there a workaround? What other suggestions would you have?

Thank you in advance,
2 REPLIES 2

ewilson
Staff
Staff
@PawelMrozik,

Are you using the latest Outlook VBO from the Digital Exchange?

Cheers,
​​Eric

PawelMrozik
Level 3
@Eric Wilson,

Apologies for the late reply and thank you for trying to help.

I am kind of stuck in limbo between my own Education edition of Blue Prism and the corporate one that we have. Anyway, at the moment I am on my own in trying to figure everything out.

So I have two answers for you.

I have no idea which Outlook VBO I used, there is a myriad of them on the corporate end and after importing the latest one I got an error message:
"Internal : Could not run the object because one of the code stages has a compile error" whenever trying to run any page of the object.

Having said that, after tinkering with all the different Outlook VBOs available to me, I finally found one that worked. It is some kind of an Extended version.

At the end of the day I've got it doing exactly what I wanted.

Thank you again for your help.

Take care,

Pawel​