cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perfect design of all stages for Multibot

PreetamSikdar1
Level 3
Hi,
I am creating a process where it will do is that read a excel file from folder and it will have sorted with latest file and create workqueue.
After some calculation in excel it will do surface automation and then update business exceptions and everything in workqueue and will create a excel with all the results and mail it to client.
So i am looking for the perfect design or code.
As i am creating that process and lots of question is appearing and so i want to understand the perfect flow when i need and why i need to use the locking at that stage .As i am not able to test multi bot in my laptop so need to understand when to use.

16513.png

------------------------------
Preetam Sikdar
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi Preetam, 

I can offer a few suggestions to improve your process: 

1. To answer your question about locking stage, it helps you to make sure that other users or digital workers can't edit the same file while your process is trying to work with it. 
2. When you are done using the file, release the lock so other users/processes/digital workers can access it as needed
3.  I see you are marking the queued item as completed when your Item ID exists but not when it does not. I am not sure if this is intended but make sure all paths update the queue as appropriate. 
4. There is no error handling in place at the moment if the Excel file can't be updated when you call the 'Update Excel' page. I suggest you have error handling for that. 
5. What happens if your file or folder cannot be found (was deleted, someone renamed it)? Be ready to handle that too.
6. I suggest that you use our 'Process Template 1 - Basic' for your process. It implements a lot of Blue Prism best practices and you can adjust the design as needed. You can download the template here: https://portal.blueprism.com/products/developer-jumpstart
7. I suggest you review our 'Blue Prism - Development Best Practice' guide. You can find it here: https://portal.blueprism.com/system/files/2018-01/Blue%20Prism%20-%20Development%20Best%20Practice.pdf

I hope these suggestions give you some ideas on how to make sure your process is scalable and is easy to maintain. 
Regards,

Jorge Barajas
Blue Prism
Senior Product Consultant
Austin, Texas
Jorge Barajas Blue Prism Senior Product Consultant Austin, Texas

View answer in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi Preetam, 

I can offer a few suggestions to improve your process: 

1. To answer your question about locking stage, it helps you to make sure that other users or digital workers can't edit the same file while your process is trying to work with it. 
2. When you are done using the file, release the lock so other users/processes/digital workers can access it as needed
3.  I see you are marking the queued item as completed when your Item ID exists but not when it does not. I am not sure if this is intended but make sure all paths update the queue as appropriate. 
4. There is no error handling in place at the moment if the Excel file can't be updated when you call the 'Update Excel' page. I suggest you have error handling for that. 
5. What happens if your file or folder cannot be found (was deleted, someone renamed it)? Be ready to handle that too.
6. I suggest that you use our 'Process Template 1 - Basic' for your process. It implements a lot of Blue Prism best practices and you can adjust the design as needed. You can download the template here: https://portal.blueprism.com/products/developer-jumpstart
7. I suggest you review our 'Blue Prism - Development Best Practice' guide. You can find it here: https://portal.blueprism.com/system/files/2018-01/Blue%20Prism%20-%20Development%20Best%20Practice.pdf

I hope these suggestions give you some ideas on how to make sure your process is scalable and is easy to maintain. 
Regards,

Jorge Barajas
Blue Prism
Senior Product Consultant
Austin, Texas
Jorge Barajas Blue Prism Senior Product Consultant Austin, Texas