cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preserving Exception Details after Resuming

SahilRaina
Level 3

Hello All,

I was intrigued by one of the recent posts "https://community.blueprism.com/discussion/which-option-would-be-correct#bm9242b68c-377f-42fe-82da-0187938af29e".

Among the skirmishing, I went ahead to test the design & found alarming results (please see attached video)
The exception details are re-thrown (a.k.a preserved) even after Resume Stage.

Process validation is smart enough to realize that there is an error in the design and clearly calls it out, however the process runs just fine.

Is this a bug ? (Old timers working since v4 or 5 would say so)

Is this the expected behavior ?  (Newer developers have no reference point)

Let's find out what the experts have to say 😛

Sahil Raina RPA Engineer
12 REPLIES 12

ewilson
Staff
Staff

The general consensus is that re-throwing an exception after a recover-resume stage, without an additional exception block, will result in an infinite loop. That is essentially by-design. As for persisting the exception details after the resume stage, that could potentially be seen as bug but a minor one at best. I'd suggest opening a ticket with support to get their take on it.

Cheers,
Eric 

Mukeshh_k
MVP

Thanks Eric, Cheers !!

Regards,
Mukesh

Regards,

Mukesh Kumar

jsantiago08
Level 4

it appears that the exception details are being preserved even after the Resume Stage. This could be considered a bug as it may lead to confusion and errors in the future.

The expected behavior is that when an exception is thrown and caught within a block, the exception details should not be preserved beyond that block unless explicitly handled or re-thrown.