cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Queue

ShashiK_R
Level 4
Hi All, Could someone help me with high level design to solve the following case? - I have 4 excel files with some data and 3 tasks which should be performed on each of the excel files. - Tasks May be: a) Filtering the data based on certain criteria, b) sorting the data, c) writing the sorted data back to the new excel. Goal is to work on each record and each excel file. i,e in case of power failures when the process is restarted the next unworked task has to be worked. for eg: If two tasks are processed in Excel1, then when the process is restarted, only the 3rd task should be carried out on excel1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Load everything into a queue (or maybe 4 queues) and work from the queue, not the file. Once all queue items have been worked, take results from the queue and write out to a new file. If the process is to be run on multiple machines, use Environment Locks to ensure only one machine can load the queue and write the result file. https://portal.blueprism.com/system/files/Blue%20Prism%20-%20Solution%20Design%20Overview_0.pdf

Thanks john for the suggestion. Is there any way using which we can write directly from the queue into an excel without using collection in between?

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
No you need a process to extract queue data (Work Queues object) and push it out to a file (Excel object or File Utility). In theory you could query the DB directly, but that is a lot harder to do and throws up considerable security/performance issues.

PatrickFeldhuse
Level 3
hi sagar dubey, you can try this: read excel -> put the sheet into a collection -> for the output eg. you can create a new sheet in the excel workbook -> use a loop, do your work with the data in the collection, store the result in the new excel-sheet. this way you work row-for-row, also you store the result in the new sheet row for row. this way i do it sometimes, but i agree with john, it is better to do with queue.

I cannot find the pdf can you provide me with the file or the url?

------------------------------
KULRANJAN SINGH NEGI
Associate Professional Programmer Analyst
DXC Technology
Asia/Kolkata
------------------------------