cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read/Save Attachments from EML-Attachment - Outlook

Reinke__HDI
Level 4
Hello,

I need a function with which I can read or save an attachment with the file type ".eml" from a received mail in order to read or save the actual attachment from this EML.
Saving or opening is not yet possible because this file type is not even recognized as an attachment.

So far we have always used the Outlook VBO, but there (get received items) no EML file type is already listed / displayed as an attachment in the table and no file is saved with "Save Attachments" - I also have no knowledge of the coding, so I need it Help with this, if something has to be written as code yourself to expand the VBO module or something like that.

Thanks in advance!
​​

------------------------------
Björn Reinke

Blue Prism Version: 6.4.2.
VDI: Win10 / Office 365
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Selfmade Solution 😉 :

Hi Ryan,

thank you for the fast feedback!

I found a solution as a workaround by chance, which now lets me get to the target files.

For you for information: I tried the Outlook VBO module from the DX again to verify whether the same result comes here with regard to the code, etc. It works over this, even with the positive side effect that the EML directly as MSG is saved. The DX function "Save Attachments from msg" can then also be used for this 😊

Nevertheless, thank you for taking care!

Kind regards

Björn Reinke

Betreff: Re: 169477 Read/Save Attachments from EML-Attachment - Outlook

Hi Björn,

Ticket: https://support.blueprism.com/helpdesk/tickets/169477

Thank you for contacting Blue Prism Customer Support.

I have done some research into this issue and I believe to have an understanding of why you are unable to save eml files attached to emails. 

To my understanding, the problem is in the way that you have to reference attachments on Exchange if they represent Exchange objects. So, normal files are fine because they are referenced as such, but when it's an Exchange message or invite, you have to retrieve them using a different mechanism which Outlook VBO is unable to do.

In regards to saving the contents of the eml file, currently, we do not have any specific internal or prebuilt VBO to extract the attachments from an EML file. Generally, these programming level developments can be implemented utilizing third-party DLL files which can parse and convert the target file formats with the Code Stage by the RPA designers/developers on their own.

Unfortunately I would not be able to assist you with the design and creation of custom code for this, as the Support Team typically only assist customers with break/fix related issues.

It may be a better/faster approach to look at this from a different angle. - Where do the attachments within the eml file originate from? Would it be possible to retrieve these in a different way in order to handle them within Blue Prism?

Kind Regards,

Ryan Kitchen

Senior Support Analyst - EMEA

Björn Reinke

View answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

expertcr
Staff
Staff
Our product has the function to save attachments with no issues. We will need more details to troubleshoot your issue.
Please get in touch with our support team by creating a new ticket in the Support Portal or by email at support@blueprism.com

Luis Lopez
Customer Support Engineer English and Spanish
Blue Prism Ltd

Selfmade Solution 😉 :

Hi Ryan,

thank you for the fast feedback!

I found a solution as a workaround by chance, which now lets me get to the target files.

For you for information: I tried the Outlook VBO module from the DX again to verify whether the same result comes here with regard to the code, etc. It works over this, even with the positive side effect that the EML directly as MSG is saved. The DX function "Save Attachments from msg" can then also be used for this 😊

Nevertheless, thank you for taking care!

Kind regards

Björn Reinke

Betreff: Re: 169477 Read/Save Attachments from EML-Attachment - Outlook

Hi Björn,

Ticket: https://support.blueprism.com/helpdesk/tickets/169477

Thank you for contacting Blue Prism Customer Support.

I have done some research into this issue and I believe to have an understanding of why you are unable to save eml files attached to emails. 

To my understanding, the problem is in the way that you have to reference attachments on Exchange if they represent Exchange objects. So, normal files are fine because they are referenced as such, but when it's an Exchange message or invite, you have to retrieve them using a different mechanism which Outlook VBO is unable to do.

In regards to saving the contents of the eml file, currently, we do not have any specific internal or prebuilt VBO to extract the attachments from an EML file. Generally, these programming level developments can be implemented utilizing third-party DLL files which can parse and convert the target file formats with the Code Stage by the RPA designers/developers on their own.

Unfortunately I would not be able to assist you with the design and creation of custom code for this, as the Support Team typically only assist customers with break/fix related issues.

It may be a better/faster approach to look at this from a different angle. - Where do the attachments within the eml file originate from? Would it be possible to retrieve these in a different way in order to handle them within Blue Prism?

Kind Regards,

Ryan Kitchen

Senior Support Analyst - EMEA

Björn Reinke

walshsmith
Level 2
Download EML Attachment Extractor in your windows system. This tool has the ability to export multiple EML accounts various other mail attachments to the local drive. All you have to do is follow the below link to download EML Attachment Extractor at once.

Visit at : https://www.osttopstapp.com/eml-attachment-extractor.html

walsh smith

RaanlSmith
Level 2
You can check this software for better response and extract EML attachments and EML Address book also. Easy to access the extract attachments from EML Windows by just clicking and it also provide free trial edition that give quick response so try this software with follow simple steps.

Get your free trial from - https://www.esofttools.com/eml-attachment-extractor.html

Raanl Smith

Hi Björn Reinke

Could you please help me with how did you convert the .eml file .msg file as outlook vbo is only able to read .msg file.
I have similar requirement to read contents from .eml file. So could you please help me on this.

Regards,
Divas

divas gupta
RPA Developer
IBM
Asia/Kolkata

Hi Divas,

as described above, I only used the Outlook module from the DX to be able to save the attachments directly as a msg - this file can then be edited again normally...13422.pngBest regards, Björn

Björn Reinke

@divas gupta,

As @Björn Reinke points out, please make sure you've downloaded the latest Outlook VBO from the DX.

Cheers,
​​​

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange