cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spying a window name strictly

franlem2
Level 4

​Hello,

Using the Application Modeller, I have a window title of the target application called "Window".

I also have a windows process name of the target application called "Process".

Sometimes, when the target application is running, an error ocurrs at a specific step that triggers a messagebox.

I need to spy the messagebox so that I can capture the error message that is inside.

To capture the error message, a human can click on the message box and with a couple of TAB keystrokes, he can copy the error message.

However, the messagebox  is not spyable in Application Modeller and in Application Navigator and it does not appear either.
Instead I have hundreds of "Window", "(Window) AA", "(MenuBar) AA", "(TitleBar) AA", "Button (AA)" and other "(ScrollBar) AA", almost everything of type WindowsForms10.Window. To be honest, it is not very helpful.

In task manager there is no more window that appear, which makes sense as it is a message box.

How can I spy this messagebox then?

Kind regards.

------------------------------
François
6 REPLIES 6

WillemBorgesius
Level 4
Not sure if this is the solution, but you could try to attach to the popup using the window title.  This might then enable spying elements in the message box.

For example, you click a Save button in Process.  A message box appears with the title "Information popup".  You attach to the window called "Information popup" without using a process for attaching as well (might have to take the process out of the Application Modeller, and just use Window Title).  Depending on how the target application is programmed, this could work...

Willem Borgesius
Technical Director
Delta4Services
Europe/London

NarayanShrawagi
Level 6
If window is not spyable, you can also use region mode , make the window appear in foreground and then send mouse clikc/keyboard keys  on the window

Narayan Shrawagi
Senior Consultant
T systems India private limited
Europe/London
Narayan

Hi  Willem, I am referring to a message box. Not to a pop up. Yes it's easy to spy a pop up. A pop up is just a window of Internet Explorer and it's quite straightforward to spy it.

What you are trying to explain is how to spy a window. This information is still available on Foundation Training.

Contrarily to windows, a messagebox  is not spyable in Application Modeller and in Application Navigator and it does not appear either.  

I had thoroughly reviewed the documentation before sending the message here and the reply is not in the documentation.
I was more looking for soemone who still faced the same issue to share the way he solved it or at least his experience with any workaround. Thank you for your reply.

François

Original Message:
Sent: 10-03-2019 07:40
Subject: Spying a window name strictly

Not sure if this is the solution, but you could try to attach to the popup using the window title.  This might then enable spying elements in the message box.

For example, you click a Save button in Process.  A message box appears with the title "Information popup".  You attach to the window called "Information popup" without using a process for attaching as well (might have to take the process out of the Application Modeller, and just use Window Title).  Depending on how the target application is programmed, this could work...

Willem Borgesius
Technical Director
Delta4Services
Europe/London

Original Message:
Sent: 10-02-2019 13:02
Subject: Spying a window name strictly

​Hello,

Using the Application Modeller, I have a window title of the target application called "Window".

I also have a windows process name of the target application called "Process".

Sometimes, when the target application is running, an error ocurrs at a specific step that triggers a messagebox.

I need to spy the messagebox so that I can capture the error message that is inside.

To capture the error message, a human can click on the message box and with a couple of TAB keystrokes, he can copy the error message.

However, the messagebox  is not spyable in Application Modeller and in Application Navigator and it does not appear either.
Instead I have hundreds of "Window", "(Window) AA", "(MenuBar) AA", "(TitleBar) AA", "Button (AA)" and other "(ScrollBar) AA", almost everything of type WindowsForms10.Window. To be honest, it is not very helpful.

In task manager there is no more window that appear, which makes sense as it is a message box.

How can I spy this messagebox then?

Kind regards.

François

Hi Narayan,
Region mode is not reliable because the process must detect if a value is appearing. The window appearing in foreground is not valid because the messagebox is based on a process that is different from the process of the windows.  A messagebox is different than a window.  
As no solutions exists and this message appeared when a file could not be created, I used a work around : check the date of last modification before and after the error. If is was the same, it means that the error appeared.
Thanks to both.

François

Hi Francois
i don't know there is no difference between Message box and Pop up window. I felt Willem suggestions was better to use.Let me you know if you find any difference between message box and pop up window. Clarify here it's very fully for all of us.

VIGNESH S
SENIOR SOFTWARE ASSOCIATE
NTT DATA SOLUTIONS
Europe/London

Hello Vignesh,

This solution works many times but in the context presented it was not working because there is no couple process/ window appearing clearly . No, the title of the messagebox is not displayed in the tree inside application navigator. It is not displayed in task manager either.  I found a workaround that you will find in my reply to Narayan.  It solved the issue the same day. No more help is needed on my side for this topic. Thank you for your contribution to my post.

François