cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing a file into a Work Queue item

GaetanViau
Level 3
Good day BP Gurus!

I am currently developing a process that handles a PDF file at various stages of the process which is being put on pause for human interaction and then resumes, using the work queue items Status to determine where it left off and the next steps to carry over. Because these different phases of the process all relate to a specific PDF file, I'd like to store that file in the work queue so that I can get it back at these various phases of the process, irrelevant of the bot that does the work and without the need to save the file in a network share.

My questions are:
1- Is it possible to store a file in a work queue item? If so, how do we proceed to do that?
2- Considering these files can take up to 200 kilobytes, will there be a space issue over time or are these files removed from memory when the work queue item is deleted?

Thank you for your input.

Your help is much appreciated.

------------------------------
Gaetan Viau
Developer
CGI
America/Toronto
2 REPLIES 2

AdiNarayanaRedd
Level 2
Hi,
Instead of storing the pdf file in work queue, why cant you store the pdf file path in work queue ? store the pdf file in your system.
get the path from queue, open the file.
does this work ?

regards

AdiNarayanaReddy G
Tech Lead
HCL Technologies
Europe/London

NicholasZejdlik
Level 9
It is possible to store files in Blue Prism work queues using the Binary data type. In a calculation stage, use the LoadBinaryFile() function to load the file as a binary. When you need to use the file, use the Write Binary Data action in Utility - File Management (if you don't have that action, you can create a code stage instead).

As far as space considerations, the binary data is being stored the same as other data in the work queue item. When you delete the work queue item, it will free the data as well.

I don't think there are any performance issues with doing this, except for slightly longer load times when you go to retrieve the work queue item, though I don't think that would be much of a problem unless you had relatively large files being stored. The alternative would be to use a file share to save the files, and then store the path in the work queue instead.

Nicholas Zejdlik
RPA Developer