cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Automation Recognise Text failure

EdBailey
Level 3
Hi I'm trying to create a BO for an old application called Tiny Term. Its a mainfame emulator. I need my BO to be able to read text on the screen. I'm working through the surface automation guide as a means of evaluating whether this will be possible. BP is unable to find the font used by the application but trying anyway to recognise text by using a read stage and providing the hex colour codes of the font or background draws a blank.  Are there any other paths I can investigate or should I accept that the application cant be automated to read text? 
2 REPLIES 2

DamianBoczoń
Level 3
Hi, There are few other options I believe: 1. You can try to select all available data on your mainframe emulator and copy it to clipboard. Then you can work on some logic to extract the text you need from it. (For more information reach out to BP documentation Guide - Surface Automation of Terminal Emulators) 2. You can try to use Read Text with OCR. (For more information reach out to BP documentation Guide to Reading Text with OCR) 3. You can try to use Mainframe spying mode and see if you can retrieve information that way. (For more information reach out to BP documentation Mainframe Automation and  Using the Blue Prism Mainframe Spy) 4. You can change font and background color on some mainframe emulators and then use the font and color in Recognise Text action. It might be worth do some amount of experimentation in this area. 5. If Blue Prism is not able to recognize the font, then you can try to create your own font definition. (For more information reach out to BP documentation Surface Automation - Guide to Modifying Fonts) Hope this helps

EdBailey
Level 3
Thanks that is very helpful, and should keep me busy for some time 🙂