cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Automation - spying table when row's height is not fixed.

HongJooChoi
Staff
Staff
Dear Community.

Is there anyone who has spied the table with varying height of a row?

According to the training lecture for surface automation, position of each row in the table can be obtained by moving the coordinates of {START Y, END Y} downward along the table. In this case, the assumption is the row height is same. 

28623.png
But, in this actual case of our customer, the row height is varying based on the length of contents in the box of the row. Therefore it seems not possible to calculate the right position of the row in the table using the constant value of row height.

Does anyone have a tactic to robustly obtain the position of the row in the table where the row height can vary? 

28625.png

Your help would be much appreciated.

Best regards

------------------------------
HongJoo Choi
9 REPLIES 9

ManpreetKaur1
Level 8
Hi @HongJooChoi,

I can see that there is an option to export the results to Excel. You can export the results in an excel and then perform your tasks. That would be much more easy and convenient way. Please let me know if that is not the case​

Manpreet Kaur
Manager
Deloitte

ritansh.jatwani
Level 9
HI @HongJooChoi,

As @ManpreetKaur1 mentioned, you can try exporting the results in excel and perform the next steps. But I do understand that you are using surface automation to achieve your tasks, While dealing with Surface automation, always try to use Global send keys to perform Ctrl + a (to select all text) and Ctrl+c (to copy all the content to clipboard). In this way, you don't need to perform the screen scraping to get the text or perform OCR to read the value as sometimes the OCR doesn't provide accurate results. Hope it helps !!​​

Ritansh Jatwani
Manager
Deloitte
Gurgaon
*If you find this post helpful mark it as best answer

Hi, @ManpreetKaur1

I appreciate for your response.

Unfortunately, downloading and using the excel file is not an option in this scenario, 
because the next action to take place after identifying the position of each row is to press the row one by one, which invokes a pop-up followed by more actions.
So, the thing is that we need to be able to press the exact location of each row.

Hope we have an alternative way.

Best regards

HongJoo Choi

Dear Jatwani

Thank you for the tip to read the text from the table.
Actually, it was another pain point for me as I couldn't read the text from cells.
Will try. 

Also as was said in the reply to @ManpreetKaur1, we're expecting another scenario to robustly pinpoint the location of the row with varying height.
Any hep would be much appreciated.

Best regards​​

HongJoo Choi

Hi @HongJooChoi,

Please follow the below steps and it should help you:

1) Export the results in excel. The benefit of exporting is you can read the data easily using copy functionality rather than using screen scraping it using OCR
2) Post exporting, read the first record and keep the data in clipboard.
3) Just try, if you can perform (Ctrl+F) to find the record in the table (manually) or some other filter/find functionality. If finding value works, then it becomes easy to directly navigate on that record and then perform your desired action

Also, can you please confirm, what will happen if one record gets processed?

Does it disappear from the list or it remains there always?

Manpreet Kaur
Manager
Deloitte

Hello @HongJooChoi
if the row's height is not fixed at particular row like row number 20 visible in that screen​ then you can use counter and navigate till row 20 by increasing the fixed width and once come to 20, increase by that width and then move to next rows.

We need to look for a pattern,

Neeraj Kumar
Technical Architect

Hi, @Neeraj Kumar

Thank you for the comment.

Actually, the height of the row varies depending on the content contained in each row and the content itself is input by users (i.e., doctors in this case)
thereby there can be more than one nth rows  and it's position also varies. 

Best regards

HongJoo Choi

Hi @ManpreetKaur1

Thank your for the response.

In this use case, reading the content in the cell is not a concern rather it would be enough if we can click the right position of each row.

The detailed scenarios is as below:

1) click the current row (starting from the first row)
2) go to 3) when there's some data to be handled for that item, OR go to 5) when there's no data to be handled for that item

3) upon clicking, pop up automatically comes up, some actions are taken to that pop-up and close it.
4) the current row disappears and the next row becomes the current row, Go to 1)

5) upon clicking, no pop up comes up and
6) the current row remains as it is and should move one step down by clicking the downward arrow. Go to 1)

In a nutshell, the need to locate the next row correctly comes
when there's no data for the current row, and so has to move down to the next row while the current row remains as it is, 
at the same time, the height of the next row may or may not be different from the current one.

Clicking each row one by one from the top to the bottom is inevitable action to try to invoke pop-up and take follow-up actions.

My guess is that:
if there's a way to figure out whether the height of the next row is wide one or normal on the fly, 
then it might be possible to dynamically determine next coordinates to which the cursor should move down.
I don't have any clue to make this happen.

Best regards

HongJoo Choi

Hello @HongJooChoi - thanks for your input.

i believe you need to Raise  ticket to BP support to get more expertise answer on this.​

Neeraj Kumar
Technical Architect