cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text box unable to detect value when entered using Writer

GouthamRamesh
Level 2
Hi,  I'm writing into a textbox using writer,On entering some data into it a button next to it is enabled. The button is disabled if the textbox is empty. I'm writing into a textbox  but the textbox is unable to recognise that there is any value in it. Only when i click it manually the adjacent button is enabled. Why does this happen?   I notice that when writer is used, the cursor does not move. Please help me with this   Cheers, Goutham
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

PSSupport
Staff
Staff
Some apps are built to expect human input via mouse and keyboard, and may contain code that 'listens' for input and then reacts, eg enabling a button. The Write stage does not use the keyboard and sometimes an app cannot sense that data has been written and thinks the field is still empty. The workaround is usually to make the object behave more like a human and use more basic input mechanisms like Send Key Events and Global Mouse Click.

View answer in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Dan.Lister
Level 4
I've come across this with certain applications. To get round this you have to send a click to the text box and then use Send Keys to send the value to the cell.

GouthamRamesh
Level 2
Hey Dan, I'm using Chrome and even the click is not working on the textbox. Any other way around for this   Cheers, Goutham

FranklinApplega
Level 3
I'm running into the same issue.  It doesn't seem to matter if I try to click on the text box, send keys, writer, nothing seems to interact with the text box correctly.  Except the application modeler, which identifies the item each time. Did you ever have any success Goutham?

PSSupport
Staff
Staff
Some apps are built to expect human input via mouse and keyboard, and may contain code that 'listens' for input and then reacts, eg enabling a button. The Write stage does not use the keyboard and sometimes an app cannot sense that data has been written and thinks the field is still empty. The workaround is usually to make the object behave more like a human and use more basic input mechanisms like Send Key Events and Global Mouse Click.

AndreyKudinov
Level 10
Or you can figure out what js runs after you type into an editbox and run it.

Hi Goutham, any work around did you find for this?
I am caught in the same issue

I tried using write stage and also click is not working in the text box(Its a search box)

Did you try using a navigate stage and "Global Send Keys"? You might have to use the root element of the application for that but ensure the text box you want to write to has the focus (for me it worked best with doing a "Click Center" in the text box before writing the text using "Global Send Keys".

------------------------------
Cheers Astrid
Cheers [FirstName]

Sorry, just saw the other messages where you mentioned the mouse click doesn't work and others have already suggested the Global Send Keys...
In that case I'd second Andrey's suggestion to try to find out the javascript behind (e.g. using the Developer Tools in Chrome (or other browsers) which you can access by pressing F12) and run this.

Cheers Astrid
Cheers [FirstName]

How would I go about identifying what js is ran to simulate the "keyboard" / "mouse" interaction to the field/webpage?

Christopher Conrad