cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The target presentation space is protected or inhibited

MarilynGagarin
Level 4
Hello all,
Tried building a bot to automate process by reading Excel file and use the data to update  in our mainframe application. We used IBM ACS to connect to it. I followed the documentation "IBM iAccess Client Solutions Implementation steps for Blueprism" (see attached). Created one object to access ACS, create session profile,and/login to IBM. Created another object to launch/attach to the session and connect to application (see attached)
Now, when already in the application main screen I am using Write stage to enter an option value of 50 but  Encountered error on the Write stage  "The target presentation space s protected or inhibited or incorrect data was sent to the target presentation space (such as field attribute byte) Return code (5)". 
I am a newbie here so I have scratching my head and for sure I am missing something here or doing something wrong. 
Appreciate any help/advice here.

IBM iAccess Client solutions v1.1.8.2
Java JRE(32 bit)
WIndows OS (64 bit)

Thank you.
Marilyn

------------------------------
Marilyn Gagarin
Senior Programmer/Analyst
United Rental, Inc.
America/New_York
6 REPLIES 6

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Marylin - double check the position the Write stage is trying to write to, in case you're 'missing the target' and trying to write into a location where there is no field.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hi John,
Target element  spied on the right position.  Did the Highlight and that's the correct spot. 

Marilyn

17137.png

Marilyn Gagarin
United Rental, Inc.
America/New_York

Thanks Marylin. Looking at the screenshot, I'm wondering if the grid itself is misplaced, and that's throwing everything off.

You need to spy the 'inner' window of the application, not the outer main window, so that the top left of the grid is where the green line is here below, rather than where the red is.
17140.png
Once you've done that, the grid cells should sit fairly neatly over the text, with each character occupying its own cell. The grid doesn't have to be perfect, because all it's really is doing is showing you the rows and columns occupied by the text on the screen. Below you can see the grid isn't perfectly on 'Username', but's probably enough to see that it's row 10.
17142.png
Note that it's possible to resize the grid by dragging the bottom right corner - you may want to nudge the grid a little to get it to sit nicely over all the text.
17143.png

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hello John,
For some reason I am not able to spy the inner window but the outer-whole window so resizing the grid as you shown was followed. 
I also had helped from Support and are able to resolved it same approached as you provided.  Appreciate your help.

One more quick question maybe you can give me a very quick answer. I am sending keys like ENTER and TAB in the mainframe screen. I have no issue with enter key using  "{ENTER}" worked  but the tab key "{TAB}" giving me error see below.  Is there another code for tab key?
I will try to research if someone has same issue but if you have quick answer then much better. 
17149.pngThanks again.
Marilyn

Marilyn Gagarin
United Rental, Inc.
America/New_York

Good to hear Marilyn. Different flavours of mainframe can require different key codes but I'd have thought [tab] would work - square brackets and lower case. @T is another common variant​ but I don't think that works for IBM.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hello John,
replaced Send Keys Mainframe with Global Send Keys Event using value "{TAB}"  and it worked.

Used documentation from BP Support.
https://portal.blueprism.com/customer-support/support-center#/path/Automation-Design/Surface-Automation/Keyboard-and-Mouse/1139620822/How-do-I-send-keys-to-a-Mainframe-application.htm

Thank you for all your replies.
Marilyn

Marilyn Gagarin
United Rental, Inc.
America/New_York