cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeout reading data from sql database

KristianHolm1
Level 5
Hi Blueprism team I have an errormessage when trying to read data from sql database with 130.000 records to a collection

object: Get Collection

13179.png

Errormessage
Execution timeout has expired. The timeout period expired before the operation was performed or the server did not respond.

Working fine with data from sql database with 90.000 records.

Is there a limit reading records from sql database.?

greetings Kristian

------------------------------
Kristian Holm
RPA programmer
PenSam (Pension Company)
Copenhagen Denmark
Kristian Holm RPA programmer PenSam (Pension Company) Copenhagen Denmark
2 REPLIES 2

NicholasZejdlik
Level 9
Execution timeout expired means that the query took too long to complete. Reading 90,000 records may have run under that time whereas 130,000 records pushed it to the timeout limit. The Data - SQL Server is using a SqlCommand object to run the query, which has a default timeout of 30 seconds. I don't believe the Data - SQL Server object has a way to change the timeout (I could be wrong, I have an old version of it).

What I would suggest is making a copy of the Data - SQL Server object and include a custom timeout option.

Nicholas Zejdlik
RPA Developer

gmarquez
Level 6
Hi Kristian,

Nicholas has provided a good answer about why you are getting your timeout error. There is no hard limit on the amount of data we can query because it all depends on the amount of data included in the query such as row/column counts and amount of data in each.

We do have a way to increase the timeout and it is documented here: https://portal.blueprism.com/customer-support/support-center#/path/Operational-Support/Performance/Database-Management/1360595772/Why-do-I-get-Execution-Timeout-Expired-The-timeout-period-elapsed-prio...

I would advise to not make this an unlimited amount of time because then you could have an issue where the query is hung and your process will keep running until someone intervenes.

Gabe Marquez
Technical Support Engineer
Blue Prism