cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two objects attached to Internet Explorer

AlejandroAragon
Level 2
Dear Digital lovers, S.O.S

We are automating a web application (Internet Explorer) for data collection. I want to create two separate objects for it. One object for basic actions (Launch app, login, logout, Terminate app). The second object to navigate through the menu of the app (Attach, Open registry link, Input data, Open History link, Check input data etc...). Each object requires an application model. For the first one, it launches the application so I get no issues. The second object though, doesn't attach to the running IE application.
When I create the application model for the second object I indicate a browser which is already running, I define the Windows tittle (ApplicationName*), and the Windows Process (iexplore), but it keeps giving me the -More than one application matched the criteria- Error message. Indeed, IE always launches two instances as confirmed by the Windows Task Manager. Not sure how to specify it better for recognition in the application modeler since I'm already filling all the available requirements. I think I'm giving up on two objects linked to the same IE application, since I cant seem to find a workaround.
I've read some threads on the topic which talk about a navigation stage, but without an application model I can't define a navigation stage. Others talk about dealing with pop-up windows by attaching to them as a Windows base application, again this is not the case. 
I think I'll just put everything in one object, allowing BluePrism to launch IE from the beginning.

It would be wonderful If somebody knew how to create several objects linked to the same IE internet application, or at least how to define an application model that attaches to an running IE application. 

If only all systems behaved like the Centrix Data Solutions

------------------------------
Aragon
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

DaveMorris
Level 14
Put 0 in the Child Index input of the Attach action in the Navigate stage.

22067.png

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DaveMorris
Level 14
Put 0 in the Child Index input of the Attach action in the Navigate stage.

22067.png

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

TomaszSukiennik
Level 5
You may refer to Process ID in Attach action. You could get all Id's of explorer processes and then in loop you can test on wait stage (on previously build model) which Id is correct. There is action in BP to get all Id's of the process. You can later use this explorer ID until you restart the application. I tested this solution and it works.

Tomasz Sukiennik
RPA
Digital TeamMates
Europe/Warsaw

Hi,
that is just the right way of modeling IE applications and it also can be done. 

We have creted a lot of different objects for the IE applications. Usually one object that launches the application (like you have done) and then object / page (with their own application modellers). 
IE is a bit tricky when trying to attach to IE and there are couple of things you'll have to do to get it working. 

First you should add Attach-action to your object. 
In Attach action you should have a Navigate Stage which makes "attach" to your application.
To that Attach Navigate you have to fill "Input" parameters: Process Name, Window Title and Child Index (Value: 0). That child index does the magic!

I always run the attach action first, before spying any elements on the page.
22069.png

Virpi Lähdesmäki
LähiTapiola
Europe/Helsinki