cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to capture text from IE alert boxes

John_Paul_Churc
Level 3
I have been trying to capture the text of alert box popping up in Internet Explorer. Active Accessbility mode seemed to work but ended up showing an error message like 'There was an error during the spying operation.' I have attached the screenshot which might be helpful.
8 REPLIES 8

John_Paul_Churc
Level 3
Update: I want to capture 'Hi' from the alert as shown in the scrrenshot.

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi John - try manually moving the popup so it is not fully contained by the parent IE window. You might find then you can spy it. It could also be that the popup does not belong to the iexplore.exe that your object is attached to. If that's the case then you may need a separate object to handle the popup.

John_Paul_Churc
Level 3
Thank you for the reply @ John__Carter. What application/.exe should I select if I want to create a new object and what kind of modes i.e, Windows, Active Accessbility or Region should I use?

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Same as before - browser app/iexplore, but when you attach, provide the Child Index input value in the Navigate stage. This will govern which iexplore.exe the object will attach to.

John_Paul_Churc
Level 3
Thank you for the reply. But I don't get the point here. Why are you referring to Navigate stage here? Navigate stage can only be used on spied elements if I am not wrong. The problem is that I couldn't even spy the pop-up. To narrow down the issue further, you can assume that the pop-up is part of the same process started by Blue Prism. Moreover, as you mentioned in your first reply, I just moved the pop-up around and tried to spy it but I got the same error. Also, I have done some analysis and want to share the findings with you. 1. Whenever an alert box pops up, it creates another entry with the same name as the parent's window name under Applications tab in Windows Task manger but it doesn't create a new process it seems. PFA. 2. You can not close or minimize the parent window/HTML page without closing the pop-up. In Automation Anywhere tool, it was very easy to handle this alert box.

John_Paul_Churc
Level 3
Attaching another image...

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
OK. 1) Try un-maximising the main window before the popup appears, then manually slide the pop-up beyond the edge of the main window, then try to spy. 2) In Task Manager it's the Processes tab you need to look at. Your object will be attached to one of the iexplore.exe instances. If the popup belongs to a different exe then you'll need a second object. 3) The navigate stage is used to launch or attach to an application 4) You need to do the Foundation training under the guidance of an experienced mentor.

John_Paul_Churc
Level 3
Thank you for the reply @ John__Carter. I think this particular scenario can't be a part of the foundation training and I have gone through the foundation training course as well. Actually, one of my colleagues got into this scenario and he couldn't get it done and challenged me. Personally, I also consider this a bit difficult and challenging. And, finally I am able to extract the text with the help of you. Yes... It's working. Thanks a lot @ John__Carter for helping me out. Thanks, once again!!!!