cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SQL to run Blue Prism controls

DevrajSingh123
Level 2

I have recently started to integrate Power Automate with Blue Prism.

At the moment I use the SQL in Power Automate to obtain logs or run SQL queries against my own SQL data. This got me thinking as I can access the BP resource logs and can see other things in the Blue Prism database such as what controls are running on which workers etc. 

Is it possible to kick start a Blue Prism control using SQL ?

Surely the control room is just one big database? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Hi @DevrajSingh123 ,

Although Blue Prism uses database extensively for each of it's operation, however, Blue Prism does not recommend altering the database directly especially in Production environment. This however, varies from organization to organization. In my experience, if you have some sort of read operations, you can try to directly fire select queries on the related database table to get the required information out. Generally, you would need to combine multiple tables together to get results most of the time.

However, if you are trying to perform any write operation, I would refrain from going directly via database. The reason being there can be multiple dependent table records that you would also need to update at the same time when you want to write something to database and if you by mistakenly miss even one of it, it can impact your environment. Moreover, if you want to let say trigger a process on a Runtime Resource, doing it via database is not recommended at all as it uses multiple tables which will also require an unique identifier that only the application is able to create.

So, in such cases better would be to leverage Automate C utility or expose the processes via API's which you can then use to run sessions. I built one such use case where I used python to integrate Blue Prism process exposed via API's with Google Dialogflow Chatbot. The part where I have shown how to expose the Blue Prism process as a SOAP API would be same while the difference would be instead of Python you need to create a custom connector at Power Automate end to make the SOAP call to the runtime resource machine where you want to trigger the automation.

NOTE: If you have Blue Prism v7 or higher, you can then expose the process as REST API service and simply use the HTTP action at the Power Automate side.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps you out and if so, please mark the current thread as the 'Answer', so others can refer to the same for reference in future.
Regards,
Devneet Mohanty,
SS&C Blueprism Community MVP 2024,
Automation Architect,
Wonderbotz India Pvt. Ltd.