cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Parent/Child relationship queues, proper tagging

SandraLopez_Cap
Level 2
Hi, I am using a Parent/Child relationship queues for a proccess, I have been Reading the guide but it is not clear for me where should I place the "relationship key". Should I use a tag for it or it is better in the Key field of the queues? Thank you in advance
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

MelissaSuarez_G
Level 6
You are totally right Denis. I should have explained it a little bit better. I'm using the children tag to identify the parent of those items, therefore is not unique for each element. For example, if I have a request to process 5,000 payments: * The parent key would be ""Request123456"". * The 5,000 children (payments) will all have a tag like ""Request123456"". This way, I can easily filter how many pending/completed/exception items I have on that Parent-Child relationship

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
Tags should never contain unique data - it should contain grouping data only (I am sure that is in some training document somewhere - maybe the work queues one?). I think that should answer your question - you will have a field in your parent item data that contains the key for the child item.

MelissaSuarez_G
Level 6
I use the parent key (which I force to be unique by adding a timestamp) to tag the children. This makes it super easy to filter your queues. 

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
Melissa - I will repeat - do not store unique data in tags - that is not a recommendation, it is an instruction because doing so will make your work queue table inefficient and slow down work queue interactions. To quote the Work Queues Guide available in this portal: ""Tagging is not meant as a way of recording unique item information, so should not be used for storing information such as a customer’s account number or telephone numbers. Unique information should only be stored in the Item Data.""  

SharazKM
Level 4
Hi Denis , I might be able to help you if you can clearly mention your requirement. Key value used while creating queue should be the unique column of your collection which you are planning to add into queue. Tag should be used for grouping only .for example - if you have similar data for Dogs and Cats -Dogs and Cats should be the tag whereas their name can be used as Key value  

MelissaSuarez_G
Level 6
You are totally right Denis. I should have explained it a little bit better. I'm using the children tag to identify the parent of those items, therefore is not unique for each element. For example, if I have a request to process 5,000 payments: * The parent key would be ""Request123456"". * The 5,000 children (payments) will all have a tag like ""Request123456"". This way, I can easily filter how many pending/completed/exception items I have on that Parent-Child relationship