cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the situations as per development best practices when to use Parent Document Loaded, Check Exists, Document Loaded ?

swapnadeep_deb
Level 4

Hi Designers,

We are currently migrating to BP v7.1.1 from v6.6 and the inclusion of Parent document loaded in Wait stages when an element is identified using Browser mode pops up the lack of clarity we always had on when to use which wait action.

Could we get a clear explanation on when should we use each of them below -

1. Check Exists
  2. Parent Document Loaded (is it a redundancy over Check Exists , if not when to use it)
  3. Check Attribute
  4. Check HTML
  5. Check Value

35789.png

Swapnadeep Deb
RPA Developer
TCS
5 REPLIES 5

harish.m
MVP

Hi swapnadeep Deb,

There is a document  to describe when to use parent docuemtn loaded and check exist. 

But to my knowledge you can use parent document loaded when  you want to make sure the whole page loaded before you perform any action while navigating to the new screen.

Chrck exist only verify particular element but parent docuemtn loaded making sure the whole page loaded .

Let's say  you are working on web application  in order to select a button  need to scroll down the screen and select  button or textbox...manually. If you are trying to automate the same web action your wait stage  should be parent docuemnt loaded instead of check exist.. because  if there is slow response from web application it will take time to load whole page  it will potentially  time out the wait stage.

----------------------- If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer" [FirstName] [LastName] [Designation] [JobTitle] [City] [State] [Phone]

swapnadeep_deb
Level 4

Hi @Harish Mogulluri

Thanks for responding.

I can relate to what you tried to explain and that's the reason I used Parent Doc loaded while automating IE. My question is then why can't we always just use parent document loaded at the start of an action ? Doesn't it nullify the usage of Check Exists ? Is it better in terms of CPU efficiency ?

Swapnadeep Deb
RPA Developer
TCS

harish.m
MVP

HI Swapnadeep Deb,

Each action has its own unique capabilities. We need to be cautious while using parent document load. Its not necessary to use every where. 

If we are using every where  there is a trade off . Lets say if you use check exist option  for site 'A' and screen '1' the process need to navigate 20 screens.
 all the screen    element which  we spied( potentially use this element for check exist action) is present on the page top level.

Lets say For each screen time taken to  load  the element we used check exist option  will take 0.02 seconds

if we use the same element action as parent document load it might change the time taken to load  - potentially more than the check exist element 0.1 or 0.2 

we may not noticed much while testing on some website but if you  verify some web application  lot of difference in terms of how much time page wil load.

Although it sounds like small amount of time. but it will  impact the overall time  

Assuming  check exist will take 0.01 seconds based on the spy mode used ( calculation is for 20 screens)
0.02 *20  = 0.4 seconds

the sam element with parent document load will take 0.2 seconds ) 

0.2 * 20 = 4 seconds

If we go bit deeper in terms of calculation  assume daily bot process 3000 items

then the difference   per day
Check exist ( 0.02 *20*3000) = 1,200 seconds (20 mins)

Parent document load ( 0.2*20*3000) = 1,2000 seconds( 3hrs 30 mins)

To my knowledge this is how I look into it when I use check exist vs parent document load

Not necessarily there is lot of time difference for   check exist and parent document load  time. It depends on teh application and target element  we spied.

----------------------- If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer" [FirstName] [LastName] [Designation] [JobTitle] [City] [State] [Phone]

swapnadeep_deb
Level 4

Hi @Harish Mogulluri

Got it now. So it depends on the situation/site I am automating. Like for the case where a scroll down is necessary before interacting with an element etc.

If only the element visibility is a requirement then check exists should be the go to approach to save time.

Could you also give an understanding of the other wait actions like check HTML, check Value,check Attribute OR refer the blueprism document you were mentioning that explains the same ?

Swapnadeep Deb
RPA Developer
TCS

harish.m
MVP

Hi Swapnadeep Deb,

I would recommend to refer the documentation. But my guess is it work similar to check exist but individual action  has its unique capability .