cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Walter.Koller
Level 11
As an automation tool, the tool itself should provide the possibility to easily automate itself. An exposed API would be nice to access Blue Prism internal data, information, configuration and automate certain tasks and generate own reports if desired.

I want to avoid querying BP repository, which is very likely to change between versions and have to reverse engineer SQL. Having an API will provide a stable and efficient way to access all data.
Additional functions on top of this data would allows various types of automation.
10 Comments
PeterWalker
Staff
Staff
Hi Walter, this sounds like a really interesting suggestion and certainly resonates with me following conversations that I have had elsewhere.

Could you (and others who have voted overwhelmingly in support of this idea) please help to bring this to life with some user stories or examples?

Many thanks,
Peter
Walter.Koller
Level 11
I have created a community thread to collect all use-cases from Blue Prism users:
Blue Prism API - community feedback
PeterWalker
Staff
Staff
Fantastic, many thanks Walter.

All - the benefit of linking out to a discussion thread in this way is that it will allow you to attach pictures, documents, etc that articulate your use cases in more detail, should you wish.

(We are working on improving the ideas portal to accept document uploads too.)

Thanks!

Hi Walter,

Thanks so much for submitting your idea! We are moving it into the Under Consideration status while we route the idea through our internal review process. 

We will update you as your idea moves along the lifecycle.

Thank you!
Melanie 

KristianRisager
Level 5
Hi! I'd also love to see an API, but the SQL structure is rather easy to figure out. For an example, see some SQL reports I've made. Best, Kristian
DaveMorris
Level 14
Shouldn't this be considered Delivered? I know not all of the Blue Prism API functionality has been added yet, but the concept is in v7.0.
MilanMazumder
Level 2
Hi @Dave Morris,
                             Can you please let me know the features that can be accessed/ altered via these new Blue Prism API functionality that you mentioned? Or can you please share the link to the document​.

Thank You
chris.strong
Staff
Staff

Hello,

We introduced a RESTful API alongside Blue Prism 7.0 to support greater extensibility.  Our API provides a series of predefined capabilities that can be used by custom solutions to interact with Blue Prism programmatically using a REST API. The API enables integration with the latest version of Blue Prism Hub to access the new Control Room plugin.

The Online Help Blue Prism API shows what is currently available and provide access to the Blue Prism API with an OpenAPI v3 specification file. 

Pro Tip: We consume the same API ourselves to server the browser-based Control Room within Blue Prism Hub.

Kind regards

Chris Strong

Blue Prism Product Manager

Walter.Koller
Level 11
I just had a look at 7.x API and it seems to be just a subset of the available CLI commands? 
And the focus of 7.x API seems to be purely on daily operations but lacks any administrative functionality.
It looks more like an implementation of a new endpoint (WS in addition to CLI) than an enhancement of the existing exposed functionalities. 😞
chris.strong
Staff
Staff

Hello @Walter Koller

You are correct, the API has started with most of the capabilities that are used for day-to-day operations, such as adding items to Queues, triggering Digital Workers to run processes, starting and stopping running schedule runs, surfacing live operational data.

It also includes some of the setup and configuration too, such as creating Schedules. 

The API is continuing to be extended across each Blue Prism Enterprise release and we’re already working on more of the setup type activities, such as setting up Work Queues and Environment Variables.

As I type this, Blue Prism API 7.1 is the latest release.

If there are specific actions you’d like to see added to the API, we’re all ears and keep monitoring the Ideas Hub for suggestions to ensure our customer voice is within the products.

Kind regards

Chris Strong

Blue Prism Product Manager

​​