cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pimvan_den_Berg
Level 3
We need to spy a web based application, but it uses a shadow DOM. Therefor we can't use the Browser spy mode.
Using the UI spy mode might seem like an option, but this method is considerabely slower. 
I've read on the forum the method of injecting Javascript, but this option doesn't work in our case.
We have investigated the issue further and found out that a small change to the Chrome Browser extension could fix the problem.

There are two following elements in the source code of the Chrome extension which need to be changed:
· getHtmlSource.js - with case Node.ELEMENT_NODE the outerHTML is called.
· The outer HTML consists of only the 'regular' dom-elements, but not the shadow dom-elements. Could this be adjusted so that the shadow dom elements are also being serialized?
·  
· main.js - in several places the getElement functions of document are used like 'getElementByTagName' etc. These functions only scan the regular dom; could they be replaced by functions that also scan the shadow-dom?
5 Comments
PvD_SE
Level 12
This sounds more like a bug than an enhancement. As such, it should be considered for implementation regardless of the vote count.
Pimvan_den_Berg
Level 3
You should think so Paul, but unfortunately the incident ticket I raised was closed with the comment that this is an enhancement request. Even escalating to the Incident Manager didn't help. 
If everyone on this community votes on this idea, it should be fixed in a jiffy 😉
PvD_SE
Level 12

Well you certainly got my vote! 

I recently pushed a proposal to mirror each new idea in the community in order to get more folks to vote. See (and vote) here.

jhogelp
Level 8
Good Idea!!
VidhyaAnbalagan
Level 5
Good findings! @Pim van den Berg you got my vote​