cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data - SQL Server utility

Kirk.Russell
Level 6

Hi

We have been using this utility with no issues but now have a use case for connecting with an SQL database that is using a non standard port for allowing connections.

I have never been so sure how BP connects to the SQL servers using this utility and cannot see anywhere where I could specify a different port.

Does anyone have any idea how to possibly create a bespoke extended version of this utility to connect on a different port? Or is there a different utility/asset that allows this?

Thanks for your consideration

Kirk

5 REPLIES 5

justin.shea
Staff
Staff

Hi Kirk, 

Which version of the Data - SQL Server VBO are you using? 
I see in the Digital Exchange that they added the option to enter your own custom Connection String in version 10.1.0
[DX] Function for Data - SQL Server - 10.1.1

It looks like you might be able to use this to set a non-standard port according to the connectionstrings.com site: [External Link] .NET Framework Data Provider for SQL Server Connection Strings - ConnectionStrings.com

Hope this helps! 

Thanks for getting back to me Justin. We have 2 versions one badged as extended by Blue Prism from our last platform upgrade - but I don't think that is as late a version as now available on the DX and doesn't include the optional bespoke connection string input. I did see the update to the utility that includes that after I posted - sorry should have checked there first!

In the end we effectively did that by creating a local version of the utility and adding in the port number as variable in the string in the Set Connection action and that has worked.

Kirk

Just for information purposes, you can always specify a non-standard port, in the Data - SQL Server VBO Set Connection action, by appending a comma and the port number to the server name. The SQL Server client will automatically parse it out as the port number (as shown connecting to the non-standard port 6283 below).

MichealCharron_0-1716222700139.png

Micheal Charron
RBC
Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Thanks Michael - that is a really neat way of doing it.

Regards

Kirk

You are welcome, @Kirk.Russell.

It's actually Microsoft's standard for connecting to their SQL Server Database Engine so I can't take the credit for it.

MichealCharron_0-1716380761097.png

Micheal Charron
RBC
Toronto, Ontario
Canada