cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach Issues Edge IE mode v6.10.5

MatsØstvig
Level 3

Hi all,

We are facing an issue as we cannot attach to Edge IE mode. The same logic works fine in 6.5 on a daily basis, but when testing it in version 6.10 it always fails on the second case (although it is the same page as the first case).

We have tried killing all msegde tasks and also added a check if all msedge tasks were indeed killed -  as well as adding a 10 second sleep before relaunching edge.

The error happens at the navigate stage when running the attach action. We are using window title, child index and start up parameters. 

Can it be related to an Edge or a Blue prism settings?

Have someone faced similar issues? Any help is much appreciated and needed.

9 REPLIES 9

harish.m
Level 12

hello Mats,

Can you provide some context on what is the second case?

Can you try window title as wild card and what  is the start up parameter you are using?

What is the process name you are using  in the navigate stage action - Attach?

Make sure the process name is iexplore

----------------------- If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer" [FirstName] [LastName] [Designation] [JobTitle] [City] [State] [Phone]

MatsØstvig
Level 3

Hi Harish,

Thank you for answering!

After the first case is finished we close Edge and relaunch it with the same index/homepage-page URL. So while the attach works fine on the first case - It does not on the second (or third or fourth) attempt. We attach using window title and we are using process name: msedge.

Start up parameter is [URL] &  " --new-window"

Are you certain the process name should be iexplore? We are using msedge as process name and this is working fine in version 6.5 for thousands of consecutive cases. Has this changed for version 6.10.5 so that it now is iexplore?

Mukeshh_k
MVP

Hi Mats, what is the error which you are getting - I suppose once you have attached the application and relaunching back again - have you detached before relaunching ? Ideally if launched from object studio - it should not require an attach - I would use command line params to launch a web application > Call attach to see if its connected already or not. Also the process name is correct it should be msedge not iexplore.

Launching website from Navigate - Launch - Commandline Params:
35496.png
Checking attach - If its already connected - if not, attach : 
35497.png
Also we do have a separate thread (thread can be found here : https://community.blueprism.com/discussion/bp-not-attached-after-launch-of-edge-browser-application?ReturnUrl=%2fcontent%2fallrecentposts) where I did write a detailed steps if you do not wanted to launch from object but start the web app via process and only attach through object, I would copy over the steps as below : 

Process > Utility Environment > Start Process > Application and Arguments
35498.png
35499.png
If Launch fails from this block I would kill edge by Taskkill and retry it:
35500.png

If its attach which is failing - Keep the windows title as wildcard * : something like this and check if its highlighting the outer window- if the window titles are changing and if at least some part of window title is common in each window better to use that as wildcard  :
35501.png
------------------------------
Kindly up vote this as "Best Answer" if it adds value or resolves your query in anyway possible, happy to help.

Regards,

Mukesh Kumar - Senior Automation Developer

NHS, England, United Kingdom, GB

Original Message

Regards,

Mukesh Kumar

harish.m
Level 12

HI Mats,

After the response from  mukesh. I tested the code as  it turn out it should be msedge and also verified the process name in task manager.

Thanks Mukesh for correcting it.

https://support.blueprism.com/en/support/solutions/articles/7000078438-how-to-spy-web-pages-using-ie-edge-mode

Here are some useful articles related to IE mode( Double check whether all the settings first case vs second case and see any difference)

https://support.blueprism.com/en/support/solutions/articles/7000078438-how-to-spy-web-pages-using-ie-edge-mode

https://bpdocs.blueprism.com/en-us/Guides/ie-mode/ie-mode-automation.htm

https://support.blueprism.com/en/support/solutions/articles/7000076637-how-to-set-microsoft-edge-with-ie-mode-and-why-can-t-i-spy-in-ie-mode

----------------------- If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer" [FirstName] [LastName] [Designation] [JobTitle] [City] [State] [Phone]

MatsØstvig
Level 3

Hi,

Thank you for your response,

I have now tried the solution of killing task and start process directly through process with URL and then attaching through the object. Still it fails on next wait stage stage after attach - stating it is 'not connected'.  We already use a wildcard in the attach navigate stage. 

Mukeshh_k
MVP

Hi Mats - Would you be able to share few screenshots of the Attach Action and relevant Stages for better understanding ?

Regards,

Mukesh Kumar

MatsØstvig
Level 3

Hi, 

35512.jpg

Above is from the process. Using taskkill to close all msedge instances (like you have shown), read if instances is still active (retry killtask if it is.). Start process with application-path and URL. Then run attach(shown below).

35513.jpg

Mukeshh_k
MVP

Hello Mats - The above flow seems good to me - I just wanted to double check why are you attaching it twice and you said its working in the first attach - if application is getting attached in the first instance itself you dont need to reattach - if you are reattaching it next time - make sure you have detach it before.

If its failing to attach on the first instance itself - I would go to Task Manager and see what is the task name it is creating - for below example :

I would use full name just for testing and then trim it down to wildcards to make sure what works for me  (Usually here it would be "*Blue Prism Product*" if its not attaching with a shorter form of it.

35514.png
Also for your case - I would only use Window Title - "*Saksflyt*"
35515.png

Kindly up vote this as "Best Answer" if it adds value or resolves your query in anyway possible, happy to help.

Regards,

Mukesh Kumar - Senior Automation Developer

NHS, England, United Kingdom, GB

Regards,

Mukesh Kumar

MatsØstvig
Level 3

Hi Mukesh,

Appreciate you suggestions.

I am only attaching after launching the process using the 'Start process' action which was suggested earlier in this thread.

Also as mentioned - the first case always works, so it is probably not the wildcard which is wrong in the attach stage. The issue seems to be related to the closing down and reopening of edge - which are the actions executed between first and second case as shown in the flow above - and what seems to be causing the error.