cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autoarchival with no save not deleting debug session logs.

JerinJose
Level 10
Hi All,

I have enabled Auto archival in production with delete option to keep the BPAsession and BPAsessionNonUnicode table from consuming DB storage. 
What i find strange is it is not effective in Non production environments as archival is not deleting debug logs which is also getting stored in sessionNonUnicode table. Is it because there is no session ID created in session Table for debug runs?? 

is there a feature/setting i can enable to include debug logs as part of the archival deletion?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
Jerin Jose
RPA Product SME
EY
Asia/Kolkata
*"If you find this post helpful, please press the "Recommend" Button.*
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi Jerin. The archiving tool is programmed to skip over any session that it believes is still running. It will look at the BPASession table and skip any rows where the session has no enddatetime for the session. This is something that can happen frequently with debugging sessions that get abandoned mid-run. You can resolve the issue by applying any datetime to the field directly in the database that is older than the threshold you are trying to remove with the archiving tool. The Blue Prism provided housekeeping scripts work the same way. Any session with a NULL enddatetime is presumed still running. I hope this helps you to understand the behavior.

Gabe Kirchner
Customer Support Engineer
Blue Prism
America/Chicago

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Sounds strange, normally it should work. Can you see the sessions in the treeview in System > Archiving, and can you archive one via the UI? That will test if the archiving is functioning. If it is, and if you've enabled auto archiving, have look at the settings for anything obvious, like an obsolete resource selected as the archiver.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hi John,

Archival deletion is working as expected only issue here is it is not touching runs in debug mode (control room and scheduled run related logs re getting removed.)
Blueprism version is 6.4.2 ( I had done a housekeeping on session non Unicode table on April so previous logs are not available) first sucess ful run of auto archival ran on last friday (11-09-2020) event log has log for archive run start and completion which says deleting logs older than 11-06-2020 i have set 3 month retention so the event information makes perfect sense. still i can see debug logs available in database and in the UI (when switched to manual mode).

Jerin Jose
RPA Product SME
EY
Asia/Kolkata
*"If you find this post helpful, please press the "Recommend" Button.*

Hi Jerin. The archiving tool is programmed to skip over any session that it believes is still running. It will look at the BPASession table and skip any rows where the session has no enddatetime for the session. This is something that can happen frequently with debugging sessions that get abandoned mid-run. You can resolve the issue by applying any datetime to the field directly in the database that is older than the threshold you are trying to remove with the archiving tool. The Blue Prism provided housekeeping scripts work the same way. Any session with a NULL enddatetime is presumed still running. I hope this helps you to understand the behavior.

Gabe Kirchner
Customer Support Engineer
Blue Prism
America/Chicago