cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BP 6.10.5 - Get Next Item with empty or space tag filter value gets an item from queue

Nandhakumar626
Level 4

Hi All,

I have an issue when get next item action, where it gets an item when there is empty tag filter value or space but all my queue items are tagged with some tag value.

Basically to my understanding, If there is any tag value added to that item then we can get the item only with the exact tag value. But in this case it is not the same way.

BP version - 6.10.5

Steps to reproduce:

Get Next item action

Mention queue name and give "" for tag filter or space " "

Keep you all queue items attend to some value.

Result: it gets an item

Has anyone faced the same? 

------------------------------
Nandhakumar C
Technology Consultant
SimplifyNext Pte Ltd
Singapore
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Nandhakumar626 

Have you tried setting wildcards within your tag filter? e.g. "*my tag*"

Michael ONeil
Technical Lead developer
NTTData
Europe/London

Hi Michael,

I haven't tried that but ideally if your all WQ items has tag then when you try to get item with empty tag value it should not return an item.

Not sure why it gets an item

Thanks,

Nandha

Nandhakumar C
Technology Consultant
SimplifyNext Pte Ltd
Singapore

Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking. Unfortunately I dont think there is anything to find items with blank tags as the default for get next item is blank and will return any pending items in the queue. The only way to do this, I think, is to search for anything that doesnt include a specified tag, for example if you tag your items with the tag "My tag" then in Get next Item you can set the tag value to "-My tag" and this will return all items which DONT include the tag "My tag". In this scenario if all your items contain the tag "My tag" then Get next item will return no items.

If your queue can contain multiple tags then you need to define these as exclusions as well, e.g. one item uses "My tag" another item uses "My second tag" and a third uses "My third tag" you will need to set Get next item as "-My tag;-My second tag;-My third tag" and this will exclude these tags from the search for Get next item.

Michael ONeil
Technical Lead developer
NTTData
Europe/London

@Nandhakumar C

As @Michael ONeil has pointed out, leaving the "Tag Filter" parameter, in the "Get Next Item" action, blank or with whitespace simply means to not apply a tag filter and to retrieve the next pending item in the Work Queue.

If you want to filter for the untagged items, you can use a wildcard. Using "-*" in the "Tag Filter" parameter will only return untagged pending items.

Micheal Charron
Senior Manager
RBC
America/Toronto
Micheal Charron
RBC
Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Actually thats a good point @MichealCharron a negative and wildcard would do the trick without stating each tag to exclude, I should have thought of that lol

Michael ONeil
Technical Lead developer
NTTData
Europe/London