cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

#BPTechTips - Help with DB maintenance

ConradoMeli
Level 5
Always consider that you dont have endless data base space, so you need to implement all the mechanism to prevent the data to grow without control:

- Enable Auto archive for log cleansing (Settings > Archiving)
- Add a Work queue cleaning process to your design (There is a template from BP )
- Before you deploy your bot to production set loggin level to "Errors Only" for "All stages", then enable it only for the key stages

Your DBA will thank you!!

Regards

------------------------------
Conrado Meli
Managing Partner
Primus IA
America/Santiago
2 REPLIES 2

EmersonF
MVP
Very good, Conrado!!
I've seen operations stop due to database overhead.
If I may add two points.
I would like to add:
1º - governance of environment variables and Credantion: thus cleaning up any garbage that may exist.
2º packeage export policy, maybe even some integration that would avoid a lot of scenarios like "Package_ProcessoX", "Package_Pro_X", "Package_X" and that with numerous releases inside.

I believe this should help not only in the maintenance of the bank but in the organization of the operation

Emerson Ferreira
Sr Business Analyst
Avanade Brasil
+55 (081) 98886-9544
If my answer helped you? Mark as useful!
Sr Cons at Avanade Brazil

bruce.liu
Staff
Staff
Hi Conrado,

Good summary, thanks. It is indeed one of the key challenges many customers are facing. And often they would only realise the issue until their database has grinded to a halt. 

Blue Prism support has a housekeeping SQL script that can be used on your Blue Prism database, on a periodic basis for log archiving. The scripts may have an advantage over the Blue Prism native archiving feature since it does not utilise a Blue Prism bot. And also moving data within databases directly is always going to be more efficient as compared to via a UI. Please kindly reach out to Blue Prism support if interested.

Another important aspect is to monitor session log file growth. Let us say you have a well maintained Blue Prism database. One day, a process is introduced, generating a large amount of logs in the database, to the extent that it outstrips the speed of log archiving process. Given time, this would eventually lead to database not responsive, even with existing log archiving. That is where log growth monitoring comes into place, so that your DBAs can get warnings on unexpected growth, which would in turn lead to on-time troubleshooting.

Bruce Liu
Senior Product Consultant, Professional Services
Blue Prism
Australia/Sydney