cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Prism 7.0 Upgrade challenges.

Sankar_GaneshKo
Level 4
Hi All, 

Please let us know the real time challenges and resolution for the Blue prism 7.0 upgrade.  

------------------------------
Sankar Ganesh Kolappan

1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

DaveMorris
Level 14
Have you gotten a Blue Prism license for v7? It requires a new type of license, and last I heard Blue Prism was actually discouraging people from upgrading to v7 yet. I do not know why this is since I tested a ton of features of Blue Prism v7, and there were only a few bugs, most of which have workarounds and don't really matter. So, definitely contact Blue Prism directly through your Account Manager to verify that you should or shouldn't upgrade.

Personally, when I upgraded my local Blue Prism environment to v7, I had no issues at all. Granted, I went from 6.10.1 to v7.0 so it was a "small" upgrade. It installed perfectly and everything worked pretty much. I think I had to reconfigure the Blue Prism application server afterward, but that's also kind of standard after an upgrade.

As others have mentioned, you'll just want to follow the suggested upgrade steps from the Release Notes. The most important thing above all else is to backup the entire database. I think it's also good to create releases to backup everything, as others have said. However, it is not enough to just create releases. Backing up the entire database is 100% always necessary. If you needed to revert back then you could restore the database from the backup file.

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

EmersonF
MVP
Please read.
Blue Prism version 7
!

Emerson Ferreira
Sr Business Analyst
Avanade Brasil
+55 (081) 98886-9544
If my answer helped you? Mark as useful!
Sr Cons at Avanade Brazil

Thanks for sharing the BP 7.0 notes. i gone through that. But if some already migrated may know more detailed challenges. That is what i'm looking here.

Sankar Ganesh Kolappan

Sorry, @Sankar_GaneshKo, I still can't help you with this, I haven't performed any migration,
But I believe that one of the biggest difficulties will be these:
Migration of processes from 6.X to 7.X:
Due to some difference between databases.
A new full release should be created with all the assets (Schedules, queues, processes, objects etc...), and then import this fullrelease into 7.X
Control Room Web Configuration:
We already have some problems solved here, like this one:
Problem with web Control Room | Blue Prism Product

Hope I helped you in some way 😄

Emerson Ferreira
Sr Business Analyst
Avanade Brasil
+55 (081) 98886-9544
If my answer helped you? Mark as useful!
Sr Cons at Avanade Brazil

Prepare a master release of your entire blue prism and save it for future reference. Because V7 uses new DB definitions and once upgraded you can not downgrade DB. Also make sure if any other related product you are already using e.g. Decipher, Interact, Hub then V7 may require a new license. Apart from this, I didn't face any major challenges while doing this on my local machine. Just keep proper backup of BP release before you proceed further as a contingency plan.

Thanks & Regards,
Tejaskumar Darji
Sr. RPA Consultant-Automation Developer

DaveMorris
Level 14
Have you gotten a Blue Prism license for v7? It requires a new type of license, and last I heard Blue Prism was actually discouraging people from upgrading to v7 yet. I do not know why this is since I tested a ton of features of Blue Prism v7, and there were only a few bugs, most of which have workarounds and don't really matter. So, definitely contact Blue Prism directly through your Account Manager to verify that you should or shouldn't upgrade.

Personally, when I upgraded my local Blue Prism environment to v7, I had no issues at all. Granted, I went from 6.10.1 to v7.0 so it was a "small" upgrade. It installed perfectly and everything worked pretty much. I think I had to reconfigure the Blue Prism application server afterward, but that's also kind of standard after an upgrade.

As others have mentioned, you'll just want to follow the suggested upgrade steps from the Release Notes. The most important thing above all else is to backup the entire database. I think it's also good to create releases to backup everything, as others have said. However, it is not enough to just create releases. Backing up the entire database is 100% always necessary. If you needed to revert back then you could restore the database from the backup file.

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA