cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser Spying mode with Edge (in IE compatibility mode)

JonathanPringle
Level 4

Hi

I have a browser application, opened in Edge, with IE compatibility turned on.

The application launches in Edge, then a second Edge window opens with the login screen. I can spy the second window using Win32, but spying the elements in Browser does not work. In fact, all modes are not able to see the elements. IO have installed the extensions inc 7.0.1, but no luck.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

------------------------------
Jonathan Pringle
RPA Developer
npower
Europe/London
10 REPLIES 10

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Jonny - can you make the second window a tab of the fist window? Or is the second window more of a pop-up? If it is, then you might want to try a second object that attaches, to see if that helps. If possible, perhaps post a screenshot to enable people to see what you've got.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hi John, the second window is more of a popup. I can spy the second window with Win32, but that's about it. I tried creating a second object, but the result was the same. Ian also tried, but couldnt work it out.

(I'm not an npower now . My signature above is wrong.)

Screen shot below:

11196.png

Jonathan Pringle
RPA Developer
Agilisys
Europe/London

Hi John

I know on other versions of BP, there is an option like this:

11197.png
I know it has fixed an issue  of not being able to spy , for another client.

On the community edition, this option does not seem to exist.

Jonathan Pringle
RPA Developer
Agilisys
Europe/London

What 'Application Type' did you select in App Modeller. If you selected Browser Based on Chrome Edge then try changing it to IE.

Gopal Bhaire

SoumyabartaGhos
Level 2

lookman
Staff
Staff
Hi Jonathan.

There is a KB article on dealing with this:
Support Center | Blue Prism Portal

You'll need to log into the portal first but it provides details on how to handle windows pop-ups on Edge.

jack

Jack Look
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism

bruce.liu
Staff
Staff
Hi Jonathan,

I was wondering if you have ever used Internet Explorer browser to work with this website? If so, did you have any success in doing that?

Another thing I would suggest you look into is on how the page is constructed in the new popup. Using Developer Mode to see if you can find any clues from the backend HTML. Things like the presence of an outer iframe is one of those things you can look into.

Bruce Liu
Senior Product Consultant, Professional Services
Blue Prism
Australia/Sydney

Hi Jonny to add to Bruce's advice, can you try doing the log in part manually, and then see if you can spy the app normally? That will give you an idea whether it's the whole app that is problematic, or it's just the login screen that needs attention.

Gopal also makes a very good point - the application type in the VBO needs to be 'IE', even though you're using Edge. With compatibility mode you don't need the extension because BP is communicating directly with the browser. And if you look in Task Manager you'll see that iexplore.exe is there under msedge.exe - that's what compatibility mode is - a hidden instance of IE running inside Edge.

11201.png

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hi all

Sorry for delayed reply. I had some other things to sort.

I have followed Gopal's advice and selected IE in the application wizard. That worked successfully.

I will read the KB article that Jack posted.

Also to answer Bruce, some of this application was built for IE previously.

Jonathan Pringle
RPA Developer
Agilisys
Europe/London