cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build SQL Query with special characters

ChandraAndhe1
Level 2

Hi All,

I am trying to build a string to use in Query to Execute in SQL Server Object. This is how I am building the Query text. 
[QueryText]  = [QueryText] & "'" &[LogData] & "',"

Problem:  [LogData] has some special characters like ', this is making the query not execute as it is not formed properly. How can we build a string that can take special characters.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Chandra

1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

EmersonF
MVP
You can replace LogData like this Replace([LogData];"'";"''") So I can get something like that, it worked for me 😄
"[QueryText] = '"&[QueryText]&"' OR  [QueryText] = '"&Replace([LogData];"'";"''")&"'"

Filter:
34871.png

Collection Initial:

34872.png
Collection After Filter:
34873.png

I took this article as a basis:
https://chartio.com/learn/sql-tips/single-double-quote-and-backticks-in-mysql-queries/

Sr Cons at Avanade Brazil

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

EmersonF
MVP
Hi, try it:
"[QueryText] = '"&[QueryText]&"' AND [QueryText] ="""&[LogData]&""""
34870.png

ChandraAndhe1
Level 2
Emerson,

Thanks for the answer :).

Problem I have is, I want to be able to add any text with either single or double quote or any special character. I don't want to limit the users sending me any characters.

Users may send me [LogData] = This is a tes't message that  uses " quote in the middle

I want to be able to insert into the MSSQL db without changing the characters. 

Alternative is to clean the String for single Quotes and insert., but that is not what I am looking yet.

Thanks for your time again..:)

EmersonF
MVP
You can replace LogData like this Replace([LogData];"'";"''") So I can get something like that, it worked for me 😄
"[QueryText] = '"&[QueryText]&"' OR  [QueryText] = '"&Replace([LogData];"'";"''")&"'"

Filter:
34871.png

Collection Initial:

34872.png
Collection After Filter:
34873.png

I took this article as a basis:
https://chartio.com/learn/sql-tips/single-double-quote-and-backticks-in-mysql-queries/