cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capturing process execution errors - SNMP traps

RushabhDedhia
Level 4
Hello Community,

I am learning about how Blue prism can capture the process execution errors and notify the users. In Blue Prism Monitoring Guide, it is mentioned that we can call an external program to send SNMP traps using the blue prism.

I would like to understand three things.
1) What are SNMP traps
2) How we can configure in Blue Prism process
3) Which external program is used to send SNMP traps

Regards

------------------------------
Rushabh Dedhia
Senior Consultant - Team Lead
WonderBotz LLC
Ahmedabad
+91 9428860307
Rushabh Dedhia Founder, Biznessology (https://www.linkedin.com/company/biznessology/) +91 9428860307
3 REPLIES 3

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hello @Rushabh Dedhia,

First, you must understand that SNMP is a protocol, hence the name Simple Network Management Protocol. SNMP's origins are in network monitoring (ex. keeping track of how well particular network equipment like routers, gateways, etc) are functioning. It can also be used for monitoring servers, workstations, etc. This monitoring can be used for tracking information like CPU and memory load, bytes in/out on the NIC, and more.

An SNMP trap is essentially an event that is raised by a program or piece of hardware that can be captured by a system manager application (ex. SolarWinds).

In Blue Prism, there is the Alert stage that can be used for raising notifications to users when certain tings happen within a process. While useful, the Alert stage is specific to Blue Prism and requires a running instance of the Automate.exe in order to receive the Alerts. I believe the monitoring guide you mentioned spoke about SNMP as a custom option. What that means is that it's something you would implement within your own custom VBO. As far as I know, there are no canned SNMP VBOs on the Digital Exchange at the moment.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

Thank you 🙂

Rushabh Dedhia
Senior Consultant - Team Lead
WonderBotz LLC
Ahmedabad
+91 9428860307
Rushabh Dedhia Founder, Biznessology (https://www.linkedin.com/company/biznessology/) +91 9428860307

BohyonHwang
Level 9
Hello @Rushabh Dedhia,

In my opinion, you can find a solution to translate a window event log to snmp traps.
Just creating an event log with Event Log Utility VBO will satisfy your need easily.
Blue Prism does not have to make snmp traps by itself, I think.

Regards

Bohyon Hwang
Director
Blue Prism Korea
Seoul