cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change screen resolution on VM that run unattended processes

PhilipSkoeld
Level 2
Hello, 

a process i have developed use surface automation to interact with an application, and when I run the process on a VM resource in unattended mode it fails. I believe it is because the VM resource has smaller resolution. I tried the getScreenResolution and when i "remote shadow watch" the VM when its working, one can clearly see that the resolution is smaller and that the graphical interface is compressed/smaller. So my surface automation doesnt work (i have also tried to maximize the application window but doesnt help). In the attached file you can see more clearly what i mean( A works, B doesnt work).

So, my question is - how can i change the screen resolution for a VM resource that run blueprism processes in unattended mode?

------------------------------
Philip
2 REPLIES 2

david.l.morris
Level 14
Yeah lower resolution will do it! lol That sucks. So, I think it depends on the VM technology or perhaps security policies where things like screen resolution aren't allowed to be changed. I guess hackers have a better chance with higher resolutions... Kidding, kidding. I would first try really hard to get the screen resolution of the VMs changed. That should be possible. Have you asked your Infrastructure or DevOps team or whoever maintains the VMs?

I don't think anyone here will be able to help on how to get that done unless you have admin access to the VM settings and just need input on literally how to do it. So, I'd make some calls to help desk of your organization if you're unsure where to start.

The main reason I'm replying is that I wanted to point out that I think there are a number of orgs who are having developers work in the VMs so that all the screen settings are the same when doing Surface Automation. I personally feel like that's a terrible idea, but it is a workaround. The other way I've done this (it's not perfect) is to change the resolution of my local machine when working on SA. This works, but I had other issues too, so that's a last resort in my opinion.

Dave Morris
3Ci @ Southern Company
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

Walter.Koller
Level 11
Fortunately we are allowed to change resolution and scaling of Windows.

Although not exactly the issue of the opening post, we face some issues with Windows scaling as it might displace elements, as Blue Prism sees them, with the actual location and crashes processes. Unfortunately I could not find an automated solution for scaling issue.

If your policies allow to change resolution you could try of those:
https://superuser.com/questions/89302/any-way-of-changing-windows-screen-resolution-via-command-line

And if you make something fancy, here:
https://www.codeguru.com/columns/vb/using-visual-basic-to-change-screen-and-desktop-settings.html

You could even try to change the resolution programmatically when settings are locked or hidden.​

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Group IT International GmbH
Europe/Vienna